Dear all,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of our review on
the definitions of delphinid groups in the journal Ecology and Evolution.

Syme, J., Kiszka, J. J., & Parra, G. J. (2022). How to define a dolphin
"group"? Need for consistency and justification based on objective criteria.
Ecology and Evolution, 12(11), 1-18. https://doi.org/10.1002/ece3.9513

Abstract: Group living is a critical component of the ecology of social animals
such as delphinids. In many studies on these animals, groups represent sampling
units that form the basis of the collection and analysis of data on their
abundance, behavior, and social structure. Nevertheless, defining what
constitutes a group has proven problematic. There is inconsistency in the terms
and criteria used and many definitions lack biological justification. We
conducted a literature review and an online expert survey to assess various
terms (group, school, party, and pod), and their definitions as applied to
delphinids to identify issues to ultimately make recommendations. Of 707
studies analyzed, 325 explicitly defined one or more terms, providing 344
definitions. Additionally, 192 definitions were obtained from the survey. Among
these definitions, group was the most common term used (review: 286
definitions, 83.1%; survey: 69 definitions, 35.9%) and the most familiar to the
survey respondents (73 respondents, 100.0%). In definitions of group, spatial
proximity was the most used criterion (review: 200 definitions, 71.2%; survey:
53 definitions, 81.5%) followed by behavior (review: 176 definitions, 62.6%;
survey: 38 definitions, 58.5%). The terms and criteria used to define delphinid
groups vary considerably. Rather than proposing a single formal definition, we
instead recommend that the term group and spatial proximity criteria be used to
define sampling units of individuals observed in the field. Furthermore, we
propose a process for formulating definitions that involves analyzing
interindividual distances to determine naturally occurring patterns that are
indicative of group membership. Although this process is based principally on
the spatial proximity of individuals, it could also incorporate the behavior of
group members by evaluating the influence of behavior on interindividual
distances. Such a process produces definitions that are biologically meaningful
and compatible across studies and populations, thus increasing our ability to
draw strong conclusions about group living in delphinids.

You can find the full article here:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ece3.9513

Thank you to all who took the time to complete the online survey.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions at
jonathan.s...@flinders.edu.au<mailto:jonathan.s...@flinders.edu.au>

Kind regards,
Jonathan Syme
PhD Candidate