Hello all,
My co-authors and I are pleased to share our recent publication titled "Home
ranges and diving behavior of endangered New Zealand sea lions along the
Catlins coast of
South Island, New Zealand" published in Marine Mammal Science.

Reed, N., Childerhouse, S., Robertson, B. C., & Davis, R. W. (2022). Home
ranges and diving behavior of endangered New Zealand sea lions along the
Catlins coast of South Island, New Zealand.
Marine Mammal Science, 1–24. https://doi.org/10.1111/mms.12989

Abstract: New Zealand sea lions (NZSL, Phocarctos hookeri) were extirpated from
mainland New Zealand during pre-European subsistence hunting. They began
reoccupying South Island in
1994, and the newest breeding colony arose in 2006 along the Catlins Coast on
southeastern South Island and currently consists of <10 individuals. The goal
of this study was to use
animal-borne satellite telemeters and miniature data recorders (MDRs) to
determine home ranges, three-dimensional movements, and foraging strategy of
female NZSL along the Catlins
Coast during the austral winter of 2019. Total home ranges were small (97 km2)
and primarily restricted to nearshore areas. Dives were shallow (8.9 m), short
in duration (1.4 min),
and had a mean swimming speed of 1.5 m s-1. We identified three dive types
based primarily on total dive duration, mean maximum depth, total distance
swam, and path linearity. The
estimated at-sea metabolic rate varied among dive types because of differences
in flipper stroke frequency and swim speed. Female NZSL along the Catlins Coast
have smaller home ranges and make shorter foraging trips compared with females
in the Auckland Islands, and suitable habitat for breeding and prey
availability along the southeast coast are encouraging for future population
growth.

The article is available at:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/mms.12989

Cheers,