Greetings: My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of
our open-access paper in Scientific Reports:

Pallin, L.J., Botero-Acosta, N., Steel, D. et al. Variation in blubber
cortisol levels in a recovering humpback whale population inhabiting a
rapidly changing environment. Sci Rep 12, 20250 (2022).
https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-022-24704-6

Abstract: Glucocorticoids are regularly used as biomarkers of relative
health for individuals and populations. Around the Western Antarctic
Peninsula (WAP), baleen whales have and continue to experience threats,
including commercial harvest, prey limitations and habitat change driven by
rapid warming, and increased human presence via ecotourism. Here, we
measured demographic variation and differences across the foraging season
in blubber cortisol levels of humpback whales (Megaptera novaeangliae) over
two years around the WAP. Cortisol concentrations were determined from 305
biopsy samples of unique individuals. We found no significant difference in
the cortisol concentration between male and female whales. However, we
observed significant differences across demographic groups of females and a
significant decrease in the population across the feeding season. We also
assessed whether COVID-19-related reductions in tourism in 2021 along the
WAP correlated with lower cortisol levels across the population. The
decline in vessel presence in 2021 was associated with a significant
decrease in humpback whale blubber cortisol concentrations at the
population level. Our findings provide critical contextual data on how
these hormones vary naturally in a population over time, show direct
associations between cortisol levels and human presence, and will enable
comparisons among species experiencing different levels of human
disturbance.

cheers,

Logan

*Logan J. Pallin, Ph.D.*
Postdoctoral Researcher
The University of California, Santa Cruz
Bio-Telemetry & Behavioral Ecology Lab
<https://btbel.pbsci.ucsc.edu/logan-pallin/>
lpal...@ucsc.edu
pronouns: (*he/him/his*)