Dear MARMAM colleagues,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the following publication:

Widespread exposure of marine parks, whales, and whale sharks to shipping

Raoult, V., Pirotta, V., Gaston, T.F., Norman, B., Reynolds, S., Smith, T.M.,
Double, M., How, J., and Hayward, M.W. (2022). Marine and Freshwater Research
doi:10.1071/MF22050

ABSTRACT
Context. Shipping impacts are a major environmental concern that can affect the
behaviour and health of marine mammals and fishes. The potential impacts of
shipping within marine parks is rarely considered during the planning process.
Aims. We assessed the areal disturbance footprint of shipping around Australia,
its overlap with marine parks, and known locations of megafauna, so as to
identify areas of concern that warrant further investigation. Methods.
Automatic Identification System (AIS) shipping data from 2018 to 2021 were
interpreted through a kernel- density distribution and compared with satellite
data from ~200 individuals of megafauna amalgamated from 2003 to 2018, and the
locations of marine parks. Key results. Over 18% of marine parks had shipping
exposure in excess of 365 vessels per year. Around all of Australia, 39% of
satellite-tag reports from whale shark and 36.7% of pygmy blue and humpback
whale satellite-tag reports were in moderate shipping-exposure areas (>90 ships
per year). Shipping exposure significantly increased from 2018 despite the
pandemic, including within marine parks. Conclusions. These results highlight
the wide-scale footprint of commercial shipping on marine ecosystems that may
be increasing in intensity over time. Implications. Consideration should be
made for assessing and potentially limiting shipping impacts along migration
routes and within marine parks.

Available here: https://www.publish.csiro.au/mf/MF22050
[https://www.publish.csiro.au/covers/MF_generic.jpg]<https://www.publish.csiro.au/mf/MF22050>
CSIRO PUBLISHING | Marine and Freshwater
Research<https://www.publish.csiro.au/mf/MF22050>
Context Shipping impacts are a major environmental concern that can affect the
behaviour and health of marine mammals and fishes. The potential impacts of
shipping within marine parks is rarely considered during the planning
process.Aims We assessed the areal disturbance footprint of shipping around
Australia, its overlap with marine parks, and known locations of megafauna, so
as to identify ...
www.publish.csiro.au



Vanessa

Dr. Vanessa Pirotta
Marine Predator Research Group
School of Natural Sciences
Faculty of Science and Engineering
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia
Twitter: @vanessapirotta
Superstar of STEM 2021-2022
Watch my TEDx talk here<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PXgFoTtwi0>

[cid:894aa57d-436d-4748-bf0d-7ddf0bfd83aa]<https://www.vanessapirotta.com>