My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of a paper
observing a relationship between vessel traffic and the acoustic presence
of endangered and endemic Hector's dolphins in Marine Mammal Science. The
citation and abstract are given below and the full .pdf is available via
open access at: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/mms.12995

Carome, W., Rayment, W., Slooten, E., Bowman, M. H., & Dawson, S. M.
(2022). Vessel traffic influences distribution of Aotearoa New Zealand's
endemic dolphin (*Cephalorhynchus hectori*). *Marine Mammal Science*, 1–22.
https://doi.org/10.1111/mms.1299522

Cetacean tourism and vessel traffic have grown considerably around the
world in recent decades. At Akaroa Harbor, Aotearoa New Zealand,
recreational vessel traffic, dolphin tourism, and cruise ship presence
increased substantially between 2008 and 2020. We examined the relationship
between vessel traffic parameters and the presence of Hector’s
dolphins (*Cephalorhynchus
hectori*) during the austral summer 2019 – 2020, using automated vessel
tracking and autonomous passive acoustic monitoring. Data were collected
between December 2019 and May 2020, including the entirety of the first
COVID-19 nationwide lockdown. Generalized additive models revealed that
increasing levels of motor vessel traffic, the presence of cruise ships,
and high levels of dolphin tour vessel traffic resulted in decreases in
acoustic detections of dolphins. Our findings suggest that Hector’s
dolphins at Akaroa Harbor were displaced from core habitat in response to
each of these vessel traffic parameters. We recommend that managers use
immediately actionable tools to reduce the impacts of vessels on these
dolphins.

You are very welcome to contact me (william.car...@gmail.com) with any
questions.

Ngā mihi,

Will Carome

--
William Carome
Aerial Observer | Right Whale Ecology Program | Center for Coastal Studies