Hello MARMAM members,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce our recent publication
"Strategies for segregation during foraging in sympatric otariids of the
Peruvian upwelling Humboldt Current System"

https://doi.org/10.3354/meps14203

Abstract
The competitive exclusion principle predicts that species exhibit
segregation mechanisms to coexist. In the Humboldt Current System, South
American sea lions Otaria byronia (SASL) coexist with South American fur
seals Arctocephalus australis (SAFS); however, the existence of temporal
and spatial partitioning in foraging strategies remains unknown. To compare
foraging strategies, we analyzed locations of 35 adults (18 SASL, 17 SAFS;
4 and 8 females, 14 and 9 males, respectively) equipped with satellite tags
in Punta San Juan, Peru (2013-2017). We evaluated (1) distance and duration
of foraging trips, (2) utilization distributions (UDs), (3) foraging by
hour and (4) association of foraging with environmental variables. Regular
interval tracks (every 30 min) were modeled, and residence time was
estimated to determine foraging events. Proportion overlap and analysis of
similarity compared groups in core areas (50% UD) and home ranges (95% UD).
Generalized additive mixed models were built to determine if hour of day
and environmental conditions had an effect on foraging. Multiple mechanisms
for foraging segregation that explain coexistence were found. Duration and
distance between species-sex groups were significantly different, except
for trip duration between SASL sexes. SAFS traveled longer distances and
duration than SASL, and males traveled longer distances and duration than
conspecific females. Female UDs overlapped, while male UDs did not. Core
areas between sexes overlapped in SAFS and SASL, but home ranges were
significantly different. Hour of day had a significant effect on foraging
events in SAFS females and SASL males. Environmental conditions during
foraging by SASL and SAFS females reflected coastal and offshore habitats,
respectively. However, interspecific segregation was not evident between
males.

Feel free to contact me if you need a PDF copy or have any questions at:
susana.cardena...@upch.pe

Happy holidays,
--
Susana Cárdenas Alayza, MSc, PhD