Dear MARMAM community,

We are pleased to share our recently published, open access paper in
Ecology and Evolution:

Reidy, R. D., Lemay, M. A., Innes, K. G., Clemente-Carvalho, R. B. G.,
Janusson, C., Dower, J. F., Cowen, L. L. E., & Juanes, F. (2022).
Fine-scale diversity of prey detected in humpback whale feces. Ecology and
Evolution, 12, e9680. https://doi.org/10.1002/ece3.9680

Abstract:
Predator diets are largely influenced by prey availability and abundance.
Yet, in heterogenous marine environments, identifying the prey species
consumed by diving mammals remains a fundamental challenge. For rorqual
whales, the energetic constraints of prey engulfment require that the
whales seek areas of high prey abundance and execute discrete lunge feeding
events on patches of high-density prey. Prey occurrences in feces should
therefore provide meaningful insight into the dominant taxa in food patches
selected by the animal. We investigated the prey consumed by
humpback whales in three regions in southern British Columbia (BC), Canada,
using opportunistic fecal sampling, microscopy, and DNA metabarcoding of 14
fecal samples. Fish including Pacific herring (Clupea pallasii), hake
(Merluccius productus), and eulachon (Thaleichthys pacificus) were the most
common fish species potentially targeted by humpback whales in two regions.
The krill Euphausia pacifica was the most prevalent invertebrate DNA
detected in all three regions, while sergestid and mysid shrimp may also be
important. High DNA read abundances from walleye pollock (Gadus
chalcogrammus) and sablefish (Anoplopoma fimbria) were also recovered in
one sample each, suggesting that juveniles of these semi-pelagic species
may occasionally be targeted. In general, we observed heavily digested
fecal material that drove substantial dissimilarities in taxonomic
resolution between polymerase chain reaction-based and morphological
analyses of the feces. Pacific herring and walleye pollock were the
only prey species confirmed by both methods. Our results highlight that
molecular and visual analyses of fecal samples provide a complementary
approach to diet analysis, with each method providing unique insight into
prey diversity.

Thank you,

Rhonda

Rhonda Reidy, Ph.D.
Fisheries Ecology and Marine Conservation Lab
Department of Biology, University of Victoria
British Columbia, Canada
rre...@gmail.com