Colleagues,

I am pleased to announce our new publication in Movement Ecology:

Szesciorka, A.R., Stafford, K.M. (2023). Sea ice directs changes in bowhead
whale phenology through the Bering Strait. Movement Ecology 11, 8.
https://doi.org/10.1186/s40462-023-00374-5.
https://doi.org/10.1186/s40462-023-00374-5

Article link:
https://movementecologyjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40462-023-00374-5

Abstract: Climate change is warming the Arctic faster than the rest of the
planet. Shifts in whale migration timing have been linked to climate change
in temperate and sub-Arctic regions, and evidence suggests
Bering–Chukchi–Beaufort (BCB) bowhead whales (Balaena mysticetus) might be
overwintering in the Canadian Beaufort Sea. We used an 11-year timeseries
(spanning 2009–2021) of BCB bowhead whale presence in the southern Chukchi
Sea (inferred from passive acoustic monitoring) to explore relationships
between migration timing and sea ice in the Chukchi and Bering Seas. Fall
southward migration into the Bering Strait was delayed in years with less
mean October Chukchi Sea ice area and earlier in years with greater sea ice
area (p = 0.04, r2 = 0.40). Greater mean October–December Bering Sea ice
area resulted in longer absences between whales migrating south in the fall
and north in the spring (p < 0.01, r2 = 0.85). A stepwise shift after
2012–2013 shows some whales are remaining in the southern Chukchi Sea
rather than moving through the Bering Strait and into the northwestern
Bering Sea for the winter. Spring northward migration into the southern
Chukchi Sea was earlier in years with less mean January–March Chukchi Sea
ice area and delayed in years with greater sea ice area (p < 0.01, r2 =
0.82). As sea ice continues to decline, northward spring-time migration
could shift earlier or more bowhead whales may overwinter at summer feeding
grounds. Changes to bowhead whale migration could increase the overlap with
ships and impact Indigenous communities that rely on bowhead whales for
nutritional and cultural subsistence.

Feel free to reach out to me at ang...@szesciorka.com if you have any
questions.

--

*Angela R. Szesciorka, M.Sc., Ph.D.*

NSF Office of Polar Programs Postdoctoral Fellow

Marine Mammal Institute

Hatfield Marine Science Center | Oregon State University

Office: ‭541-867-0362‬

Pronouns: Dr/she/her

‪

‪