Dear Marmam,

On behalf of my coauthors, I would like to share with you our recent short note
on Mediterranean rough-toothed dolphins where we provide some new insights into
their distribution and highlight one extreme case of ingestion of macroplastics
that included squid-like plastic fishing lures.

Link:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0025326X23001327?dgcid=author
Abstract: Rough-toothed dolphins (Steno bredanensis) form an isolated
subpopulation in the Mediterranean Sea that resides only in the eastern basin.
Due to the paucity of records, the conservation threats these dolphins face and
their ecology and distribution are poorly understood. While most observations
indicate that individuals are found in two isolated clusters in the eastern
basin, we hereby present five observations -three visual, one acoustic and one
stranding- that possibly extend the range of this subpopulation to the entire
offshore waters of the eastern basin. The stomach content remains of the
stranded individual revealed a diet based on epipelagic squids and octopods.
The stranded dolphin had also consumed seven plastic bags and nine squid-like
plastic fishing lures, which had caused a complete gastric blockage and
probably led to the stranding. High pollution loads from macroplastics in the
Mediterranean Sea may evolve into a new potential threat for this subpopulation.

If you want a copy of the note, please email me at
ilias.fosko...@ecos.au.dk<mailto:ilias.fosko...@ecos.au.dk>.

Best regards,
Ilias

Ilias Foskolos, Postdoctoral Fellow
Bioacoustics Lab AU<https://marinebioacoustics.wordpress.com/>

Wildlife Ecology, Dept. Ecoscience & Zoophysiology, Dept. Biology
Aarhus University
C.F. Møllers Allé 8, Building 1110
DK-8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
E-mail: lif...@hotmail.com<mailto:lif...@hotmail.com> ,