Dear MARMAM community,

My co-authors and I are excited to announce the publication of our paper,
“Long-term associations of common bottlenose dolphins with a fish farm in
Hawaiʻi and impacts on other protected species”, in Marine Mammal Science.

Harnish, A.E., R.W. Baird, E. Corsi, A.M. Gorgone, D. Perrine, A. Franco,
C. Hankins, and E. Sepeta. 2023. Long-Term Associations of Common
Bottlenose Dolphins with a Fish Farm in Hawaiʻi and Impacts on Other
Protected Species. Marine Mammal Science. https://doi.org/10.1111/mms.13010

Abstract: The global expansion of mariculture offers numerous potential
benefits but may also pose a threat to wildlife populations. There is
currently only one commercial finfish mariculture facility in Hawaiʻi, a
nearshore kanpachi (Seriola rivoliana) farm off the west coast of Hawaiʻi
Island. This farm lies within the range of several resident odontocete
species, and almost daily common bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus)
associations with the farm have been reported since 2007. We analyzed
photographs of 35 bottlenose dolphin groups at the farm sighted between
2008 and 2021 in the context of 20 years of survey effort and extensive
community science contributions from Hawaiʻi Island. Thirty-six bottlenose
dolphins were identified associated with the farm, representing almost
one-quarter of the estimated total population size. The discovery rate of
new individuals at the farm indicates this is a conservative estimate of
the total number of individuals associating with the farm, and social
network analysis suggests that associations may continue to spread within
the population. We also found a high frequency of farm associated
bottlenose dolphins showing aggression towards several other species of
dolphins, demonstrating impacts to multiple protected species.

Please feel free to request a PDF copy from us via email at
aharn...@cascadiaresearch.org. You can find the abstract (both in English
and ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi) at https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/mms.13010
and you can also download a copy of the supplemental materials at
https://cascadiaresearch.org/publications/harnish_etal_2023/

Annette Harnish

Research Biologist

Cascadia Research Collective