Postdoctoral Associate
Christopher W. Clark Postdoctoral Fellowship

Cornell Lab of Ornithology – K. Lisa Yang Center for Conservation Bioacoustics

College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
Ithaca NY

College Description:

The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at Cornell University embraces
diversity and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports
students, faculty, and staff of all identities and backgrounds. We strongly
encourage individuals from underrepresented and/or marginalized identities to
apply.

About Us:

The Cornell Lab of Ornithology, part of the College of Agriculture and Life
Sciences, is a global leader in ornithological and biodiversity research &
conservation and is also known for its vibrant postdoc community. Within the
Cornell Lab of Ornithology, the K. Lisa Yang Center for Conservation
Bioacoustics (Yang Center) is known for developing and applying novel
bioacoustics techniques to biodiversity conservation. The Yang Center's main
pillars include ecological research, hardware and software engineering, and
global capacity building. We are An interdisciplinary, multi-PI research
endeavor filled with passionate individuals from various backgrounds dedicated
to conserving a wide diversity of marine and terrestrial taxa and ecosystems
around the world.

Job Description/Position Function:

We seek applicants for the newly endowed Christopher W. Clark Postdoctoral
Fellowship in Conservation Bioacoustics. The fellowship award supports the
incumbent in pursuing cutting-edge scholarship while fostering intellectual
interaction among Lab programs and Cornell scholars. We welcome applications
from individuals that focus on innovative and impactful research in any area of
applied conservation bioacoustics. We are especially interested in high-risk,
high-reward project ideas that have the potential to shape the future of
conservation bioacoustics.

The fellowship opportunity spans up to 36 months via three consecutive
year-long appointments at the Lab. Located at the Imogene Powers Johnson Center
for Birds and Biodiversity in the 220-acre Sapsucker Woods Sanctuary, the
Cornell Lab of Ornithology is a vibrant unit within Cornell University's
College of Agriculture & Life Sciences. More than 250 faculty and staff work at
the Lab within our mission-driven programs. Our management and staff are
committed to the highest standards of ethics and excellence in all areas of our
work. The Cornell Lab of Ornithology's K. Lisa Yang Center for Conservation
Bioacoustics<https://www.birds.cornell.edu/ccb/>, where this position is based,
is an inclusive community<https://www.birds.cornell.edu/ccb/our-values/> and
welcomes anyone who has an interest in bioacoustics.

The fellowship is named in honor of Dr. Christopher W. Clark, the founding
director of the Yang Center (formerly known as the Bioacoustics Research
Program), a foundational leader in the development of the science and
technology of conservation bioacoustics across a wide range of taxa and
ecosystems, and instrumental in using bioacoustics to advance the conservation
of marine mammals.

Anticipated Division of Time

  *   Conduct independent research to meet project goals that align with the
overall mission of the Yang Center. (65%)
  *   Present results at professional meetings, conferences, and popular
seminars. Prepare peer-reviewed papers and other research products, including
reports and relevant information to partners. (25%)
  *   Engage in ongoing academic and intellectual life within the Lab of
Ornithology and Cornell University, including with research peers and
earlier-career students. (10%)

Supervision Exercised

The incumbent will have opportunities to mentor undergraduate students and
possibly contribute to mentoring graduate students, but neither activity is
expected or required.

Term of position:

This is a one year full-time appointment, with re-appointed annually up to
three years based on satisfactory performance.

Required Qualifications:

  *   Ph.D. in ecology, biology, marine science, wildlife biology &
conservation, social science, computer science, engineering, or a related field
aligned with the Yang Center's mission.
  *   Ability to conduct original research from conception to completion.
  *   Strong record of success conducting research and scholarly activities,
including publication in peer-reviewed journals.
  *   Ability to work effectively both in a team and independently.
  *   Respect for and sensitivity to differences of culture, identity, and
background in the workplace and with external stakeholders.
  *   Must have strong communication skills and be proficient in spoken and
written English.

Salary or Rewards/Benefits:

$56,000-$64,000 per year with Cornell University's generous benefits package.
This position is located at the Lab of Ornithology in Ithaca, NY. This role
will be fully on-site.

Cornell provides great benefits that include professional development, access
to wellness programs, employee discounts with local and national retail brands,
broad range of comprehensive health care options, and generous paid leave
provisions:  3 weeks of vacation, 13 holidays (including end of year winter
break), paid family leave, and superior retirement contributions.

Application Instructions:

Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, research statement/project
proposal (no more than 3 pages including figures, tables, and bibliography),
curriculum vitae, contact information for three references and a statement of
contribution to diversity, equity, and
inclusion<https://cals.cornell.edu/faculty-staff/human-resources/policies-resources/statement-contribution-diversity-equity-and-inclusion>
 via Academic Jobs Online at the following link:
https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/24693.

Review of applications will begin immediately, and the application deadline is
05/31/2023. If you have questions about this position, please email
holger.kl...@cornell.edu<https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/null>.

Employment Assistance: If you require an accommodation for a disability in
order to complete an employment application or to participate in the recruiting
process, you are encouraged to contact Cornell University's Department of
Inclusion and Workforce Diversity at voice (607) 255-3976, fax (607) 255-7481,
or email at o...@cornell.edu. For general questions about the position or the
application process, please contact the Recruiter listed in the job posting.
Applicants that do not have internet access are encouraged to visit your local
library, or local Department of Labor. You may also visit the office of
Workforce Recruitment and Retention Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:30
a.m. – 4:30 p.m. to use a dedicated workstation to complete an online
application. Notice to Applicants: Please read the required Notice to
Applicants statement by clicking here. This notice contains important
information about applying for a position at Cornell as well as some of your
rights and responsibilities as an applicant. EEO Statement: Diversity and
Inclusion are a part of Cornell University’s heritage. We are a recognized
employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with
Disabilities. We also recognize a lawful preference in employment practices for
Native Americans living on or near Indian reservations. Cornell University is
an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to work. Our inclusive
community of scholars, students, and staff impart an uncommon sense of larger
purpose, and contribute creative ideas to further the university's mission of
teaching, discovery, and engagement.

Application Materials Required:
Submit<https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo?apply-1471-24693> the following items
online at this website to complete your application:
·         Cover letter
·         Curriculum Vitae
·         Research statement
·         Contact info for 3 references (optional)
·         Statement of Contribution to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
·         Research statement/project proposal
And anything else requested in the description.

Further Info:
[email]
607-255-3087

159 Sapsucker Woods Road