We seek a highly motivated postdoctoral researcher to work on a US Office of
Naval Research-funded project related to spatio-temporal data fusion in marine
mammal science. Together our group, comprised of Rob Schick (Duke, Nicholas
School of the Environment), Alan Gelfand (Duke, Statistical Science) and Erin
Schliep (NCSU, Statistics), builds hierarchical Bayesian models to better
understand the impacts of anthropogenic stressors on the marine environment. We
focus on fusing the multiple types of data that are often collected in the
field, from short term biotelemetry tags, to passive acoustic monitoring data,
to aerial and vessel line transect data.
In this project, we have a particular interest in fusing acoustic detection
data from calling whales, together with in situ sampling of zooplankton and
aerial and vessel-based sightings of whales to provide inference on spatially
and temporally explicit distribution and abundance. With continuing evolution
of the marine environment, we also have interest in developing data collection
design to effectively characterize and monitor distribution.
Postdoctoral researchers are expected to contribute to participate in mentoring
of junior laboratory members, laboratory meetings including journal clubs, and
presentation of results at ecological and statistical conferences. The
successful applicant will join a thriving community of statisticians and
quantitative ecologists at the Nicholas School of the Environment along with
the Department of Statistical Science at Duke and the Department of Statistics
at NC State University.
TERM: 2 years.
QUALIFICATIONS:  Applicants should hold a PhD in statistics or quantitative
ecology. We seek applicants with a solid foundation in Bayesian statistics and
demonstrated ability to fit hierarchical models. Experience with spatial
statistics and an interest in ecology are ideal, as is effective communication
with non-statisticians.
PROJECTED START DATE: The position is available immediately. Start date is
flexible for doctoral candidates completing degrees in summer of 2023.
WORK LOCATION: Work takes place in Durham, NC
TO APPLY:
Interested individuals should include the following materials

  *   CV
  *   Names and email addresses of 3 references
  *   A short cover letter describing your background and career goals
  *   A one-page statement of research interests and methodological skills
  *   A sample research paper
  *   A demonstration of statistical coding expertise (e.g., a github
repository, or supplementary code submitted with a publication)
Candidate must be legally authorized to work in the USA. Visa sponsorship is
not available.
Application Deadline: Review of applications will begin immediately and
continue until the position is filled.
Questions should be emailed to Corrie Curtice
(corrie.curt...@duke.edu<mailto:corrie.curt...@duke.edu>)
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed
to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age,
color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic
information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or
veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,
creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust
exchange of ideas-an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our
perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this
exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and
welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all
voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold
these values.