Dear colleagues,

My co-authors and I are excited to share the following open-access publication
with you:

Eggebo J, Groß J, Bengtson Nash S (2023) Interpretation of southern hemisphere
humpback whale diet via stable isotopes; implications of tissue-specific
analysis. PLoS ONE 18(4): e0283330. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0283330

Abstract
Blubber and skin are commonly used tissues in stable isotope analysis for the
purpose of investigating cetacean diet. Critical comparison of tissue-specific
isotopic signals is, however, lacking resulting in uncertainty surrounding the
representativeness and therefore utility of different tissues for accurate
determination of recent foraging. This study used remotely biopsied blubber and
skin tissues from southern hemisphere humpback whales for strategic comparison
of δ13C and δ15N values. Samples were collected between 2008–2018 as part of
long-term monitoring under the Humpback Whale Sentinel Program. Blubber tissues
were lipid-extracted prior to analysis, whilst mathematical lipid-correction
was performed on skin samples. Isotopic values from paired blubber and skin
samples from the same individuals were compared to assess whether tissues could
be used interchangeably for isotope analysis and dietary interpretation.
Significant differences were observed for both δ13C and δ15N, flagging
previously undocumented methodological considerations, and the need for method
validation and standardisation in application of these approaches. This study
therefore advances methodological aspects of cetacean dietary analysis. This is
of elevated importance in the context of rapidly changing ocean ecosystems.

Feel free to email one of the authors if you have any questions regarding this
work.

All the best,

Jasmin

— —
Dr Jasmin Groß (she/her)
Postdoctoral Research Fellow

Helmholtz Institute for Functional Marine Biodiversity | Ammerländer Heerstraße
231, 26129 Oldenburg, Germany

Fulbright Alumna I SOPOPP Alumna | ANZSCSMM Chapter Head

Email: jasmin.gr...@hifmb.de <mailto:jasmin.gr...@hifmb.de>
Phone: +49 (0)471 4831 2519
Twitter: @jasmin4689 <https://twitter.com/jasmin4689>
Google Scholar: Dr Jasmin Groß