Dear MARMAM Colleagues,

On behalf of my co-authors, we are pleased to share our recently published
paper on the benefits of environmental enrichment devices (EEDs) in the
rehabilitation of stranded California sea lions and Northern elephant seals in
the journal Animals as part of a special issue on the Advances in Marine Mammal
Cognition and Cognitive Welfare. We had expected the sea lions to enjoy the
EEDs, but were surprised and very impressed with how much enjoyment the
elephant seal patients got out of them too!

Kirsten Donald 1,*, Amanda Benedetti 1 , Vinícius Donisete Lima Rodrigues
Goulart 2 , Alissa Deming 1 , Hendrik Nollens 1,3 , Grey Stafford 4 and Sabrina
Brando 5. 2023. Environmental Enrichment Devices Are Safe and Effective at
Reducing Undesirable Behaviors in California Sea Lions and Northern Elephant
Seals during Rehabilitation. Animals 2023, 13(7), 1222;
https://doi.org/10.3390/ani13071222

This is available via open access online:
https://www.mdpi.com/2076-2615/13/7/1222

Abstract: Environmental enrichment devices (EEDs) have been proven to promote
positive wellbeing in zoos and aquariums, and support animals' reintroduction
success; however, their use in rehabilitation centers is still limited. This
pilot study investigated the safety and efficacy of three EEDs, Artificial
Kelp, Horse KONG(tm) and Wubba Kong(tm), and their ability to decrease and/or
eliminate undesired stereotypic behaviors or looking at staff/staff areas in
seven wild California sea lions (CSLs) and eight northern elephant seals (NESs)
undergoing rehabilitation in Southern California. Observers conducted
instantaneous sampling once a minute during a 30-min baseline, followed by a
30-min EED implementation on one focal animal at a time. The data were analyzed
with generalized linear mixed models (GLMM). All three EEDs were found to be
durable and safe throughout the study. Our results show a significant reduction
in stereotypical behaviors compared to no EED treatments in CSLs, with the most
significant effect being with the Horse KONG(tm). The Wubba KONG(tm) and
Artificial Kelp provisions also reduced the undesired behavior in both species
of being focused on human caretakers. Individual preferences for specific EEDs
were found within species and between species, with the NESs using EEDs more
than the CSLs. This study highlights the beneficial aspect of EEDs for
pinnipeds in rehabilitation centers for improving their quality of life.

 Should you have any questions or comments, please don't hesitate to contact to
contact me at kdon...@pacificmmc.org<mailto:kdon...@pacificmmc.org>

Kind regards,

[cid:image001.jpg@01D97E9E.45925210]<http://www.pacificmmc.org/>

www.pacificmmc.org<http://www.pacificmmc.org/>
Kirsten Donald
Vice President of Education & Ocean Advocacy
Marine Mammal Biologist
MSc Marine Mammal Science
She/her/hers

(949) 494-3050