Dear MARMAM colleagues,

On behalf of my co-authors, we are pleased to share our new publication in
Ecology and Evolution on the macronutrient content of sea otter diets in
Southeast Alaska.

LaRoche, N. L., King, S. L., Fergusson, E. A., Eckert, G. L., & Pearson, H.
C. (2023). Macronutrient composition of sea otter diet with respect to
recolonization, life history, and season in southern Southeast Alaska.
Ecology and Evolution, 13, e10042. https://doi.org/10.1002/ece3.10042

Available via open access online: https://doi.org/10.1002/ece3.10042

Abstract: The sea otter (*Enhydra lutris*) population of Southeast Alaska
has been growing at a higher rate than other regions along the Pacific
coast. While good for the recovery of this endangered species, rapid
population growth of this apex predator can create a human-wildlife
conflict, negatively impacting commercial and subsistence fishing. Previous
foraging studies throughout the sea otter range have shown they will reduce
invertebrate prey biomass when recolonizing an area. The goal of this study
was to examine and quantify the energy content of sea otter diets through
direct foraging observations and prey collection. Our study area, Prince of
Wales Island in southern Southeast Alaska, exhibits a gradient of sea otter
recolonization, thus providing a natural experiment to test diet change in
regions with different recolonization histories. Sea otter prey items were
collected in three seasons (spring, summer, and winter) to measure caloric
value and lipid and protein content. We observed 3523 sea otter dives
during the spring and summer. A majority of the sea otter diet consisted of
clams. Sea otters in newly recolonized areas had lower diet diversity,
higher energetic intake rates (EIR, kcal/min), and prey had higher energy
content (kcal/g). Females with pups had the highest diet diversity and the
lowest EIR. Sea otter EIR were higher in the fall and winter vs. spring and
summer. Sea cucumber energy and lipid content appeared to correspond with
times when sea otters consumed the highest proportion of sea cucumbers.
These caloric variations are an important component of understanding
ecosystem-level effects sea otters have in the nearshore environment.