Dear MARMAM community,

My co-authors and I are excited to announce the recent publication of our
paper:

K. K. Martien, B. L. Taylor, A. R. Lang, P. J. Clapham, D. W. Weller, F. I.
Archer, J. Calambokidis. 2023. The migratory whale herd concept: a novel
unit to conserve under the ecological paradigm. *Marine Mammal Science*. DOI:
10.1111/mms.13026 <http://doi.org/10.1111/mms.13026>

*Abstract*: Photographic and genetic studies have revealed the complex
population structure of migratory large whales. Most research and
management are geographically based, focusing on either wintering or
summering areas, which in most cases fails to capture this complexity. We
use examples from humpback whales (*Megaptera novaeangliae*) and gray
whales (*Eschrichtius robustus*) to illustrate the concept of migratory
herds, defined here as conspecific whales that migrate between the same
wintering and feeding ground. In cases where individuals show strong
fidelity to both feeding and wintering grounds, and therefore to a herd,
dispersal between herds can be low enough to render them as demographically
independent populations, where population dynamics are determined more by
net internal recruitment (births minus deaths) than by immigration from
outside sources. In these cases, the migratory whale herd is the
appropriate unit to conserve under the ecological paradigm that focuses on
groups united by demographic forces. We suggest that when addressing
questions focused on ecological timescales for whale species with strong
fidelity to migratory destinations, the migratory whale herd is a better
initial working hypothesis rather than one based on geographically defined
strata.

The paper is Open Access and can be downloaded from
http://doi.org/10.1111/mms.13026

You can contact me with questions at karen.mart...@noaa.gov.

--
Karen K. Martien, Ph.D. (she/her <https://www.mypronouns.org/what-and-why>)
Southwest Fisheries Science Center

*I sometimes work irregular hours, but I respect your work schedule and do
not expect an action or reply outside of your working hours.*