The non-profit organization MeRiS – Mediterraneo Ricerca e Sviluppo
(Agrigento, Italy) is offering an unprecedented opportunity for a maximum
of 4 students interested in conducting a data-analysis internship.

*MeRiS*
MeRiS – Mediterraneo Ricerca e Sviluppo is an NGO with the mission to
increase scientific knowledge on cetacean species in the Strait of Sicily,
as well as to spread awareness on marine mammals and their habitat.
Our research focuses on a population of common bottlenose dolphins
inhabiting the waters of Agrigento. We have been monitoring and studying
these dolphins since 2016 under the project “Dolphins of the Akragas Sea”,
using photo-identification and the collection of behavioural and acoustic
data.

*THE POSITION*
This is an offer for students of marine biology or related fields
(environmental sciences, zoology, ecology) wishing to carry out their
internship (bachelor’s or master’s) in the field of marine mammal science.
You will be tasked with cataloguing and analysing the data collected on the
field, including:
- Photo-identification of common bottlenose dolphins
- Ethological data on common bottlenose dolphins and seabirds
- Geographical and environmental data.
For students with previous experience in acoustics, there is also a
possibility to process acoustic recordings of bottlenose dolphins.
You will be expected to work approximately 30-40 hours/week from Monday to
Friday.

*DATES*
The internship requires a minimum commitment of 2 months with two turns:
- mid June - mid August
- mid August - mid October
Two interns will be accepted for every turn.

*LOGISTICS*
The activities will be conducted in MeRiS’s base office in Favara,
Agrigento. Unfortunately, this year we are unable to offer accommodation,
but we can suggest some options to help you.

*REQUIREMENTS*
Any student interested in the position can apply, however, since we are a
small organization and we are not able to offer a stipend, we strongly
encourage the participation of students who have access to a scholarship or
can apply for one.
The preferred candidates will have these characteristics:
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office appliances, especially Microsoft Excel
- Previous experiences with GIS applications, preferably QGIS (desired but
not required)
- Strong attention to details and organizational skills
- Good ability of completing tasks independently (you will have the full
support of our team, but the internship coincides with the summer field
season, so the researchers will be out at sea when the weather allows it)
- Good knowledge of English and/or Italian
- Great team player. We are a small organization and everyone must be
welcoming and inclusive: bring a positive attitude!

*HOW TO APPLY*
Send your CV and a motivation letter to info.me...@gmail.com before the
17th of May with the subject “DATA ANALYSIS INTERN”. The selected
candidates will be contacted for an introductory meeting.