Dear all,

We are pleased to announce the publication of the following paper in
Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences:

Nielsen, M.L.K., Ellis, S., Weiss, M.N., Towers, J.R., Doniol‐Valcroze, T.,
Franks, D.W., Cant, M.A., Ellis, G.M., Ford, J.K.B., Malleson, M., Sutton,
G.J., Shaw, T.J.H., Balcomb III, K.C., Ellifrit, D.K. and Croft, D.P., 2021.
Temporal dynamics of mother–offspring relationships in Bigg's killer whales:
opportunities for kin-directed help by post-reproductive females. Proc. R. Soc.
B. 290: 20230139.

Abstract:
Age-related changes in the patterns of local relatedness (kinship dynamics) can
be a significant selective force shaping the evolution of life history and
social behaviour. In humans and some species of toothed whales, average female
relatedness increases with age, which can select for a prolonged
post-reproductive lifespan in older females due to both costs of reproductive
conflict and benefits of late-life helping of kin. Killer whales (Orcinus orca)
provide a valuable system for exploring social dynamics related to such costs
and benefits in a mammal with an extended post-reproductive female lifespan. We
use more than 40 years of demographic and association data on the mammal-eating
Bigg's killer whale to quantify how mother–offspring social relationships
change with offspring age and identify opportunities for latelife helping and
the potential for an intergenerational reproductive conflict. Our results
suggest a high degree of male philopatry and female-biased budding dispersal in
Bigg's killer whales, with some variability in the dispersal rate for both
sexes. These patterns of dispersal provide opportunities for late-life helping
particularly between mothers and their adult sons, while partly mitigating the
costs of mother–daughter reproductive conflict. Our results provide an
important step towards understanding why and how menopause has evolved in
Bigg's killer whales.

This article is available in the Proceedings B issue 2000, 2023 and is open
access. Link to article:
https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rspb.2023.0139

Sincerely,
Mia L. K. Nielsen