Dear MARMAM community,

We are looking for 2 field assistants to participate in the upcoming field
season of the Sea Lion Project Galapagos to assist with our research on animal
behaviour and personality, population dynamics and foraging strategies in
Galápagos sea lions (Zalophus wollebaeki) in the research group of Oliver
Krüger at the Department of Animal Behaviour at Bielefeld University, Germany.
(https://www.uni-bielefeld.de/fakultaeten/biologie/forschung/arbeitsgruppen/behaviour/)

Field work will take place from mid/end of September until mid December on
Caamaño, a small, beautiful island near Puerto Ayora in the centre of the
Galápagos archipelago. We have studied Galápagos sea lions there since 2003
with most animals being individually marked. Work on Caamaño includes daily
census rounds, a variety of behavioural response tests, behavioural
observations, and captures of animals for tagging, growth assessment,
biologging deployment, and sample collection (for genetic, stable isotope, and
hormone analysis). Previous work experience with these is an advantage.

The field site is a small islet (300m diameter), isolated from civilisation,
and has no facilities, so an ability to work under truly primitive conditions
is essential. Participants have to live in a tent the entire time and share in
all camp duties (cooking, cleaning, daily data entry). No sanitary facilities
are available and we have fresh water only for drinking and cooking. Field work
will be physically and mentally demanding. All gear has to be transported onto
the island via a difficult landing and camp conditions are primitive, including
a basic diet based primarily on dried and tinned foods. Due to the long
duration of the field season and the tough conditions field assistants need to
be physically capable. Previous experience with working in an outdoor
environment and with handling wild animals is highly preferable.

The duration of the field season is 3 months. The positions are unpaid, however
travel expenses to the Galapagos Islands as well as all food while on Caamaño
and accommodation while in town (before and after the field season) will be
covered by the project.

Ecuadorian nationals are especially encouraged to apply. Positions open until
filled.
For questions or to send the application (letter of motivation and curriculum
vitae) please contact following address:

alexandra.chi...@uni-bielefeld.de<mailto:alexandra.chi...@uni-bielefeld.de>

<mailto:alexandra.chi...@uni-bielefeld.de>
svenja.sto...@uni-bielefeld.de<mailto:svenja.sto...@uni-bielefeld.de>

Best wishes,