Dear MarMamers
We would like to share our new open-access publication that investigated the
dive behavior of bottlenose dolphins in Bermuda. We report the deepest dive
recorded for a bottlenose dolphin of 1000 meter. The details about the paper
can be found below, and please send me an email if you have any questions.
Sincerely,
Andreas
Title: Deep diving by offshore bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops spp.)
Authors: Fahlman, A., Tyson Moore, R. B., Stone, R., Sweeney, J., Faulkner
Trainor, R., Barleycorn, A.A., McHugh, K., Allen, J.B., Wells, R.S.
Journal: Marine Mammal Science:
doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/mms.13045
Abstract: We used satellite-linked tags to evaluate dive behavior in offshore
bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops spp.) near the island of Bermuda. The data
provide evidence that bottlenose dolphins commonly perform both long (>272 s)
and deep (>199 m) dives, with the deepest and longest dives being to 1,000 m
and 826 s (13.8 min), respectively. The data show a relationship between dive
duration and dive depth for dives longer than about 272 s. There was a diurnal
pattern to dive behavior, with most dives deeper than 50 m being performed at
night; deep diving began at sunset and varied throughout the night. We used the
cumulative frequency of dive duration to estimate a behavioral aerobic dive
limit (bADL) of around 560-666 s (9.3-11.1 min) in adult dolphins in this
population. Dives exceeding the bADL spent significantly longer time in the
upper-most 50 m following a dive as compared with dives less than the bADL. We
conclude that the offshore ecotype off Bermuda, unlike the shallow-diving
near-shore bottlenose dolphin, is a deep diving ecotype, and may provide a
useful animal model to study extreme diving behavior and adaptations.