Dear friends of whales and photo-ID automation,

On behalf of my 68 co-authors(!!), I am pleased to announce the open access
publication in Scientific Reports of the second paper to come from our broad
collaboration:
A collaborative and near-comprehensive North Pacific humpback whale photo-ID
dataset

Abstract
We present an ocean-basin-scale dataset that includes tail fluke photographic
identification (photo-ID) and encounter data for most living individual
humpback whales (Megaptera novaeangliae) in the North Pacific Ocean. The
dataset was built through a broad collaboration combining 39 separate curated
photo-ID catalogs, supplemented with community science data. Data from
throughout the North Pacific were aggregated into 13 regions, including six
breeding regions, six feeding regions, and one migratory corridor. All images
were compared with minimal pre-processing using a recently developed image
recognition algorithm based on machine learning through artificial
intelligence; this system is capable of rapidly detecting matches between
individuals with an estimated 97-99% accuracy. For the 2001 to 2021 study
period, a total of 27,956 unique individuals were documented in 157,350
encounters. Each individual was encountered, on average, in 5.6 sampling
periods (i.e., breeding and feeding seasons), with an annual average of 87% of
whales encountered in more than one season. The combined dataset and image
recognition tool represents a living and accessible resource for collaborative,
basin-wide studies of a keystone marine mammal in a time of rapid ecological
change.

Available here: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-023-36928-1, or Iā€™m
happy to send a pdf

Citation: Cheeseman, T., Southerland, K., Acebes, J.M. et al. A collaborative
and near-comprehensive North Pacific humpback whale photo-ID dataset. Sci Rep
13, 10237 (2023). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-023-36928-1

Yay whales!

:) Ted
ā€”
Ted Cheeseman
t...@happywhale.com
www.Happywhale.com
https://www.facebook.com/happywhales/

Read our recent publications - humpback whale automated image recognition:
https://rdcu.be/cCOtw and humpbacks of the North Pacific: https://rdcu.be/dfdPF

** know your whales :) **

ā€”
I live and play on unceded lands of the Ohlone.