Dear MARMAMers,

We are pleased to inform you about a publication in Lutra about the fatal
asphyxiation in seals due to Dover soles.

Reference: Haelters, J., Jauniaux, T., Kik, M.J.L. & Kerckhof, F., 2023. Prey
that kill: Dover soles (Solea solea) causing fatal asphyxiation in seals in the
southern North Sea. Lutra 66(1): 55-65.

Abstract: Along with the increase of harbour seals and grey seals in the
southern North Sea, the number of stranded dead and dying seals has risen
sharply in recent decades. A selection of animals stranded in Belgium and the
Netherlands is examined, with as one of the main objectives to collect
information about the cause of death. One of the causes of death is suffocation
from fish that enter the trachea, or from fish that are too large to be
swallowed completely. In this contribution, eleven of such cases are discussed.
It appears that Dover sole (Solea solea) is especially dangerous for seals.

If you would like to obtain a pdf copy of the article, please send me a message.

Cheers,

Jan

                    __
Jan Haelters
jhaelt...@naturalsciences.be<mailto:jhaelt...@naturalsciences.be>
Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences
3de en 23ste Linieregimentsplein
B-8400 Ostend
Belgium
https://odnature.naturalsciences.be/mumm/