Dear colleagues

On behalf of my co-authors I am happy to share our new research article:

Garcia-Cegarra, A.M., Hall, A., Martinez-Lopez, E. 2024. Bycatch and
pollution are the main threats for  Burmeister's porpoises inhabiting a
high-industrialized bay in the Humboldt Current System. Environmental
Research 251(2), 118621. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envres.2024.118621

Abstract:
Pollution and bycatch are two of the main threats for cetaceans worldwide.
These threats are exacerbated for nearshore species particularly for those
in regions with intense industrial and fishing activities. Burmeister's
porpoise is endemic to South America, has a Near Threatened conservation
status because of long-term mortality in fisheries. Burmeister's porpoise
occur in Mejillones Bay, northern Chile, a hot spot for heavy metals
pollution from the mining industry and an intense industrial and artisanal
purse-seine fishing area. From 2018 to 2021, we conducted systematic marine
surveys to assess the abundance, distribution and habitat use of
Burmeister's porpoises. We responded to stranding reports from 2018 to
2022, and necropsied nine individuals. From five of these, we analyzed the
metal concentrations (As, Cd, Cr, Cu, Pb, Hg, Se and Zn) in muscle and skin
tissues. Results showed an abundance of 76.17 individuals (CV = 25.9%) and
an average density of 0.45 individuals/km2 (CV = 26%). Burmeister's
porpoises were observed year round, 22.2% were mother-calf pairs present in
austral summer at an average of 90.6 m depth in the southwestern bound of
the bay. Two-thirds of stranded specimens died due to bycatch and one died
due to bottlenose dolphin (*Tursiops truncatus*) attack. We report a dead
Burmeister's porpoise positive for avian flu virus A (H5N1). Metals
analyzed were found in muscle and skin tissues of stranded Burmeister's
porpoises in the following order (Zn > Cu > Cr > As > Hg > Pb > Cd).
Although we could not assess pollution as a cause of mortality, Cr, As and
Pb concentrations exceeded the concentrations found in other porpoises
species worldwide. We conclude that bycatch and pollution as the main
threats for Burmeister's porpoise survival in northern Chile. Future
studies should investigate the use of acoustic deterrent alarms to mitigate
the bycatch in the bay and consider the Burmeister's porpoise as a sentinel
species of pollution in northern Chilean coast.

The article is in this link:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0013935124005255?dgcid=author

Please do not hesitate to contact me for a pdf copy:
anamaria.gar...@uantof.cl

All the best

Ana M. Garcia-Cegarra, PhD.
Laboratorio de Estudio de Megafauna Marina, CETALAB
Universidad de Antofagasta (Chile)

*Ana M. GarcĂ­a-Cegarra, Ph.D.*