Dear MARMAM community,
On behalf of my coauthors, I am thrilled to share our new publication in
Animals titled: Nature or Nurture: Is the Digestive System of the *Pontoporia
blainvillei* Influenced or Determined by Its Diet?

Abstract:
The Franciscana (also known as the La Plata River Dolphin) is a small
dolphin that lives in the coastal waters of Brazil, Uruguay, and Argentina.
This species is considered the most endangered marine mammal in the western
South Atlantic Ocean. Anatomic dissection of the digestive system of 19
animals of different ages, including 2 neonates, 12 juveniles, and 5
adults, was performed. Parameters related to length, breadth, weight, and
diameter of the digestive viscera were considered in each case. Our results
show that the Franciscana dolphin presents differential characteristics in
relation to several parts of the digestive system, including, specifically,
the tongue, the teeth, the stomach, and the small intestine. Thus, this
paper add precious information to the actual knowledge of this vulnerable
marine mammal species in order to improve conservation efforts.

Tostado-Marcos C, Olocco Diz MJ, Martín-Orti R, Loureiro JP,
Molpeceres-Diego I, Tendillo-Domínguez E, Pérez-Lloret P, Santos-Álvarez I,
González-Soriano J. Nature or Nurture: Is the Digestive System of
the Pontoporia blainvillei Influenced or Determined by Its Diet? Animals
(Basel). 2024 Feb 20;14(5):661. doi: 10.3390/ani14050661. PMID: 38473047;
PMCID: PMC10931072.

The paper is open access and can be downloaded here:
https://www.mdpi.com/2076-2615/14/5/661

Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any questions about our
work!

Cheers,
Ignacio Molpeceres de Diego

DVM, PhD Candidate

University Institute of Animal Health and Food Safety (IUSA)

Veterinary School, University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria