Dear MARMAM community,

My co-authors and I are excited to share our recent, open-access
publication in *Biological Conservation*:

Hamilton, S. N. M., Tinker, M. T., Jackson, J., Tomoleoni, J. A., Kenner,
M. C., Yee, J. L., Bell, T. W., Castorani, M. C. N., & Hughes, B. B.
(2024). Modeling coupled dynamics of an empirical predator-prey system to
predict top predator recovery. *Biological Conservation, 294, *110623.
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocon.2024.110623

ABSTRACT: Limited data, time, and funding lead conservation managers to
make difficult choices in managing species recovery. Coupled dynamical
models are relied upon for decision support, but their application to
empirical predator-prey systems has generally been restricted to small,
tractable species. To broaden their use in conservation decision-making, we
developed a model suitable for predicting the population dynamics of a
larger apex carnivore and its prey. We selected southern sea otters (*Enhydra
lutris nereis*) and their primary estuarine prey as our case study and
parameterized the dynamical model with data on sea otter, clam, and crab
abundances; predator-prey interactions; and sea otter bioenergetics
collected from Elkhorn Slough, CA. Our model, having integrated all these
salient factors, was able to successfully reproduce trends in taxa
abundance as well as shifts in sea otter diet composition and energy intake
rates. Rich data inputs allow the model to predict population dynamics over
realistic temporal scales not only for the site of data collection, but
also for similar estuaries uncolonized by sea otters. Based on model
projections parameterized with prey survey data from two such estuaries,
Tomales Bay and Drakes Estero, we predict the sites could support over 160
sea otters and may hold potential to further species recovery. In systems
with good data availability, the model has high predictive power and can
provide multi-taxa projections useful for making informed management
decisions.

Cheers,

Samantha

-----