You go on about the parser at length. Yet humans also have to read it. I
think in many languages, statement terminators and other syntactic sugars
are there for the humans.

For example, Python drives me a bit crazy, because you can't cut and paste
code directly -- you have to worry about indentation, which may not be the
same from source to destination (even within the same file). And revision
control systems often merge things wrongly, and quietly ignore it.

On the other hand, C's null-terminated strings are there for the
executable, and seem to cause more problems than it solves.

Where's the balance? Where do we draw the (new)line?