Digression: Company "A" has lots of COBOL. Attempts are being made to
"translate" some of this COBOL to Perl. Currently, the approach is to use
Perl's regexes as a means of generated helper code.

    I suspect that the process is doomed and will result in failure. I have
no idea if the goal of getting off the mainframes is just a public goal or
a real goal. -- But enough of that.

Question given Marpa and the existence of a BNF for COBOL, can the problem
of parsing COBOL and generating passable Perl be done? If so where does one
start and where does one go for assistance --- it's not like Joe down the
street knows anything about Marpa?

Thanks,

A Totally Clueless Newbie