The interface here is a series of layers that grew over the history of R2
-- there never really was any design so conventions change between each
call.  In other words, it's a mess.  The emphasis in R2 is on backward
compatibility so, alas, it won't improve.

In R3 I redesigned G1 locations and their calls from the bottom up.