Thanks, Ron, for the inspiration.

After scanning your code I realized that this situation is even easier. All
I need to do is when I hit the point where I want to tell these apart (both
productions have the same token at this point), that I can recognize
anything I want with lexeme_read, so I just need to decide whether I want
to recognize this parse or the other. I don't even have to get into
resolving ambiguous parses.

And I found that I can put the "no output parentheses" even around
non-explicit lexical elements, so my little check above does not even end
up in the parse tree.