I too think Chris is right 'by international definition', Kim.  But I
disagree with this relatively recent definition.  Language has to
distinguish between the lot of the Aboriginal Australian of 1960 or the
Albanian Kosovar of 1998 and that of the Rwandan Tutsi of 1991 or the
Warsaw Jew of 1944.  After all, for the vast majority of those concerned,
the distinction we're talking about is one of life and death.

I think we are gradually doing this with the word 'rape', too (at least,
it's been happening in some US states).  We need a word to distinguish
violation by violence or terror from violation by deceit, infringing
age-of-consent, the plying of alcohol etc.

We get to make a big rhetorical splash when we apply such words, and
hopefully get people to think twice about what they do for a while.  But,
in the long term, we lose the ability to name the very ghastliest of human
outrages - and that seems a slippery slope to me.

Of course, I don't know how to make this point in public debate (as opposed
to our cozy little family circle here) without giving licence to
opportunists whose agenda it is to understate or deny what we have been
doing, say, to Aboriginal Australians - so I keep quiet.  But I feel this
is a position I've been put in by intemperate leftie rhetoric.

I find myself so often opposed to the middle-class political correctness of
the Australian left, yet can never speak up in a country where to do so
would be further to strengthen the new right (whose own carefully unnamed
political correctness *actually* dominates).

Cheers,
Rob.