To readers of Das Kapital,

Here is a theoretical question on Marx's most important work which I
hope someone can help me with.

There is a group of us here in Manchester slowly going through Das
Kapital and although we can get to grips with most of the first few
chapters, one problenm we cannot resolve is the relationship between
the amount of gold and the amount of paper money, coins, credit, etc.

Is the value of the coin money equal the amount of gold, is it
proportional or is there any direct relation? o they just have to
have some Gold?

In the exchange C-M-C does M = the amount of concretised labour in an
amount of gold equal to that required to make C ?

This question is rather confused, but if anyone has any idea what it
is I am still struggling to understand could youn please help.

Many thanks,

John Walker
Manchester, UK.