Burford's analysis of Chechyna starts from the proposition that both
OSCE (the European end of the Atlantic alliance) and Russia are
imperialist.  George is closer to the truth when he recognises that
Russia is making a concession to imperialism. This is not only
because Russia is weak and isolated, but because it is a restored
capitalist semi-colony of US and EU imperialism.

It is true that imperialism is indulging Russia, but that is because
it has larger fish to fry. Not only keeping the pro-West
Yeltsin/Putin in power, but also keeping the Russian Federation a
Federation, not a mass of fragments. It knows damn well that the
Russian army is a better bet in guaranteeing US oil investments and
the pipelines in the Caspian and Caucasus, than a bunch of Islamic
warlords.

The correct position in this situation is to condemn Russia's
invasion of Chechyna, and recognise its independence, but without
given any support to imperialist intervention including
'humanitarian' interventions. By making these demands on Russian
workers and troops, there is the possibility that a workers
opposition to the war can join forces with Chechen workers and
peasants against both the new Russian bourgeoisie, and the new
Chechen bourgeoisie.
Dave