G'day Thaxalotls,

Was cleaning out my backlog when it suddenly occurred to me that George
might have a point (although I don't know how important a point it need be).
 Is a 'commodity' something that distinguishes itself from its hypothetical
being under another economic system purely on the criterion that it was
produced with the sole raison d'etre of being sold (after all, surplus
produce, for instance, was bought and sold thousands of years ago - and
publicly built infrastructure also comes to mind as an example)?  If not,
why not?

If so, how would a factory (quite probably assembled out of things
themselves made to be sold), which may be sold at any time, but is not
necessarily produced with that objective in mind, be different from anything
else that was made with sale not uppermost in the processes that built it?
It is built from commodities, by way of labour power, in order to produce
commodities, and it can be sold at any time.  For Jim, that makes it a
commodity.  Certainly, it  *presents itself* as a commodity, as capitalist
relations are such that all things have a price and are so measured.  So the
sentence George dislikes rings true to me.  That central alienating relation
certainly pertains.  But does it matter that it may not have been produced
to be sold?  And if so, why?

Sorry to be so dense, but I've suddenly come over a bit vague.

Cheers,
Rob.