Gidday Jeff,
I think there is a qualitative difference between Lenin and Trotsky's disciplinary actions and Stalins. The former were answerable to a party that still represented the politically conscious workers. Kronstadt is probably the best example of a workers' state killing rebellious workers who threatened the survival ot the dictatorship of the proletariat.

Stalin was not accountable to advanced workers. He stacked the party with his cronies. He recruited politically backward elements. He suppressed the opposition. He killed his opponents. He was answerable to the bureaucracy and ultimately imperialism which coexisted with him relatively peacefully. Especially when they collaborated to kill revolutionaries.

Saying Lenin and Stalin both used repressive or tyrannical methods is to fall foul of the bourgeois method that equates regimes in terms of the degree of bourgeois democracy or totalitarianism. In this way Lenin becomes not only the precursor to Stalin but also Hitler.

I cannot prove these points merely by debating the past, we need to look to the present and future actions of Stalinist/mensheviks and Bolshevik/Leninist/Trotskyists to test them out in practice.
Backward to the dictatorship of the proletariat yes, but only in order to go forward.

Comrades who havent seen it might like to read and comment on the article "For a New World Party of Revolution" which discusses the 'soviet era' in Class Struggle No 31 its on http://www.geocities.com/communistworker/cs31.html
Dave