The following is an e-mail that I sent to Alan Carling of
Bradford University.  I haven't received any response
from him as of yet, but maybe people on this list
might wish to comment.

Jim Farmelant

Alan,

I have recently been reading Malachi Hacohen's book *Karl
Popper: The Formative Years, 1902-1945* and that has led
me to ponder a bit the influence of Popper on Analytic Marxism.
Some of the key texts of AM such as Jerry Cohen's *Karl Marx's
Theory of History: A Defence* and Jon Elster's *Making Sense
of Marx* have no references to Popper in them but one cannot
help thinking that these books were written directly or indirectly
Elster's book with its espousal of methodological individualism
and its contention that much of what is worthwhile in Marx
stems from his use of a methodological individualism seems
very Popperian in character.  In fact, one cannot help thinking that
perhaps Elster was attempting to create a kind of Marxism
that would have been acceptable to Popper.

Jerry Cohen likewise makes no reference to Popper ( he
does refer to the logical positivists, to whom Popper
was opposed)  in his book,
but it would appear that he was among other things attempting
to recast historical materialism in such a form as to rebut
Popper's charge that it could not be branded as unfalsifiable
and hence unscientific or pseudoscientific.

It is also noteworthy that many of the Analytical Marxists have
seemed to share views concerning dialectics that were similar
to the ones that Popper espoused in his essay "What is Dialectic?"
Like Popper, they are skeptical of the dialectics of nature, and indeed
of most Hegelian or Hegelianized formulations of dialectics and
its relations with formal logic, history, and the natural sciences.
And Popper's contention that most of what is valid and uselful
in dialectics can be reduced to the method of "trial and error",
that is to what we can call selectionism, looks a great deal
like your own viewpoint.  And indeed over time Popper became
increasingly committed to expanding reliance upon selectionist
explanatory models, so that his selectionism not only encompassed
his philosophy of science (conjecture & refutation model), but also
his epistemology (which became known as evolutionary epistemology),
his political philosophy (the open society allows selectionism to
operate at the social and political levels in a non-lethal, non-violent
manner), his philosophy of history (he seems to have held
a selectionist evolutionist view of history, similar to Hayek's),
and even to his cosmology.

Jim Farmelant