Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 13:54:39 +0100
To: PEN-L
From: Chris Burford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Adolfo Olaechea extradited to Peru
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>From Chris Burford

I first picked this announcement from Louis Godena up today from
marxism-international e-mail list but I see Louis Proyect has already,
quite rightly, posted it on Marxmail.

Adolfo Olaechea has been a significant figure in the development
of "marxism-space" and its relevance in the imperialist world.
Each person who has been involved in an overlapping number of
lists will remember this from their own experience. I do not claim
to be objective. But Adolfo Olaechea participated vigorously in the
later 90's a very high volume list called "marxism unmoderated"
hosted by the "Spoons" collective. He championed the cause of the
Peruvian Communist Party (PCP) associated with Sendero Luminoso,
Shining Path, and denounced liberal criticisms of what he defended
as its revolutionary Peoples War. He also robustly criticised
Trotskyists,
and of course was criticised in turn, in a way that would not be
tolerated on PEN-L.

At one stage a flame war between self-declared champions of the
PCP in London and New York broke out which appeared to be potentially
much more than this, with accusations and real possibilities of people
being agents provocateurs deliberately or objectively.

Although I always thought that marxism-unmoderated was more viable
than many did, the bulk of the volume went to a new list
marxism-international, moderated by 4 people. Around the same time
as the moderation subsequently passed to Louis Godena and Adolfo
Olaechea many people left the list. My impression was that the bulk
were inherited by Doug Henwood's LBO-talk and Louis Proyect's
Marxmail, but there were other moderated lists, a number of which
were hosted out of Utah.  Marxism-international contracted to several
posts per month. I was a number of subscribers who did not challenge
the new moderator policy, although it is not close to my more liberal
views, as I wanted to continue to subscribe to and receive information
on Peru and similar perspectives.

While marxism-international declined in volume (as some lists do anyway)
Adolfo Olaechea and others set up an organisation with a wider radical
democratic global perspective, called "Justice International" of which
he is the general secretary.

Much of  this preamble, might be disputed at least in its emphasis
but I think we need to set a context.  Although I have had my ownbruising

encounters with Adolfo Olaechea, as many have, I suggest this
development is much more than a story of one man being vicitimised.

Indeed the readiness of Adolfo Olaechea to go directly to Peru, to
my mind suggests that in the spirit that Lenin urged, he is fully
intending to defend himself vigorously in court, and very probably
has anticipated this possibility for some time.

I am not sure how broad a campaign could be built around this.
My experience was one of solidarity with the ANC which involved
working with churches,  and liberals. Certainly it might include
compromises with organisations like Amnesty International,
of which Adolfo Olaechea has been very critical in the past.

However as far as he is concerned as an individual, if anyone
can do a Georgi Dimitrov at the Reichstag Trial, and put his
accusers in the dock, it is Adolfo Olaechea. His scorn is withering.
His political perspective cannot easily be dismissed in the
context of Peru, if not the wider world.

What adds to the potential significance is the whole theme of how
Empire is imposing its own model of global justice, Guantanamo
Bay style, or Pinochet house arrest style. The Peruvian Government
has just decided to renew its call of last year to Japan, to extradite
Alberto Fujimori for crimes against humanity during his ten year
presidency. It is likely that Japan will continue to refuse on the
grounds that Fujimori has dual nationality, because of his
Japanese parents.

http://dev.amatechtel.com/news/wed/cg/Qperu-japan-fujimori.RIgT_DuR.asp

 Meanwhile Adolfo Olaechea has accepted the challenge of his extradition.

While there is perhaps still scope for people's war in some countries,
I think this development is part of the trend on a world scale to try to
impose allegedly new standards of legal accountability, but in an
entirely imperialist environment. The struggle of democratic forces
to resist this trend is potentially extremely important.

I will post separately an article Adolfo OIaechea submitted to
marxism-international last month on the situation in Peru in
which he points out how techniques now used in Guantanamo
bay were used against the PCP.

Louis Godena may be setting up another e-mail list for this new
development and asks people in the USA to contact him directly,
(see below for email and phone numbers). Meanwhile
marxism-international is likely to be an obvious outlet for posting
all updates:-

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Other URL's which will either be too liberal or too sectarian for
some or all people, which I checked today for information
on Peru, include

http://www.hrw.org/press/2003/04/fujimori040703.htm Human Rights Watch

http://web.amnesty.org/library/eng-per/index Amnesty International

http://www.csrp.org/ associated with the Revolutionary Communist Party
USA

http://www.blythe.org/peru-pcp/ historical archive by controversial
organisation claiming to support thePCP up to 1998

This is Louis Godena's post -