On Mon, 3 May 2004 16:38:49 +0100 "Chris Burford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:
> > And BTW Patrick Cockburn likewise argues that the US
> > has essentially lost the war in Iraq.
>
> > The Independent on Sunday, 02 May 2004
>
> > It may be one of the most extraordinary defeats in history.
>

> Yes. My intuition too.
>
> And of world historical significance perhaps even greater than the
> defeat in Vietnam.
>
> Is is too early to ask why, in marxist terms?

I would think that the stakes for the US in Iraq are far higher
than what they were in Vietnam.  Vietnam had rubber plantations
which had been of interest to the French but I don't think
were of any great value to the US, and there was talk of
oil off the Vietnamese coast but I don't think that at
that time, US oil companies were that eager to go
out and pump it.  To a large extent the Vietnam War
had been over the US trying to save face in a situation
where it committed itself militarily, far in excess to its
real economic or geopolitical interests in Indochina.
It was in Richard Nixon's words over trying to avoid
the US appearing to be a  "pitiful, helpless giant".
In the end while the defeat of the US in Vietnam was
quite demoralizing, the US did recover within a few years.
However, the situation in Iraq seem to be quite different.
Here the stakes are much greater.  Iraq is itself a major
oil producer, and it sits adjacent to other countries that
are even greater oil producers.  While the United States,
itself, is only partially dependent on Mideast oil, most
of Europe and Japan are greatly dependent on oil from
that region, and if they were to be suddenly deprived of
that oil, their economies would quickly grind to a
halt.  So for the US the economic and geopolitical stakes
are far higher than they were in Vietnam.  A defeat here
would, I think, be far more devastating than was the
defeat in Vietnam.