In a message dated 1/19/2005 1:00:38 PM Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Waistline: All classes of African Americans
were in motion and the white sector of the
industrial proletariat was passive.

Lil Joe: Where does this history come from?
In reality in the 50s and 60s the American
trade unions were very active winning economic
gains, and also supporting the Civil Rights
Movement which was represented by SCLC,
SNCC, and the NAACP but opposed by the
NOI and Malcolm X. Since 30% of Organized
labor was Black it is self-contradictory
to say the American labor movement was
'passive' as it was in the Civil Rights
movement - especially the UAW. That is the
reason DRUM/UAW emerged, which has to do
more with proletarian praxis than the
reactionary religious NOI preaching Black
capitalism and abstention from Civil Rights
struggles to destroy racial barriers.

Comment

The trade unions - especially the UAW, is not the "white sector of the
industrial proletariat" (my exact words.) Further, Reuther opposed Civil Rights
for
a very long time and only shifted his position concerning Civil Rights within
the union and outside the union as the result of immense pressure. He died
opposing integrating the UAW in fact. The trade Unions and especially the UAW -
for various political reasons, were pressured into supporting the Civil Rights
Movement and after the 1967 Rebellion in Detroit was compelled by the polarity
it created to changed it internal policy.

Every one of course (who was actually involved in the events) remembers how
Walter Reuther was placed at the head of the "March On Washington" alongside
Dr. King. Malcolm X gave a very famous presentation - in Detroit, concerning
this political development. From the early and mid 1950s the base of opposition
to the UAW's white chauvinism and segregation of the union was based in the
Negro Labor Council and Local 600 led by such giants as Nicolas Hood, Coleman
Young Jr. and George Crockett Sr. After the House un-American Activity
Committee
basically destroyed the National Negro Labor Council with Coleman Young
destroying its membership list, rather than submit (this famous and historical
presentation is available on line by plugging in Coleman Young Jr.). The next
organizational expression of the fight to desegregate the UAW - not the
workplace,
was the Trade Union Leadership Council (TULC).

(This phase of history of the trade union movement is bound up with the white
chauvinism and wrong orientation of the CPUSA and the SWP - and government
attack and penetration, that allowed for the political vacuum of the time.)

Reuther was of course a rank white chauvinists and the entrenched white
chauvinism of the UAW, (along with the Steel Workers Union and most other
unions in
the American Union) was shattered on the rock of the 1967 Detroit Rebellion
and an earlier run for City Council by an African American Minister supported
by the remnants of the old NNLC. What actually took place was the UAW leaders
were compelled to reverse policy and in 1968 allowed for the election of the
first black local union president (in our area), Homer Jolly Sr. at Local 51.
It just so happens that Local 51 is the Local Union I remain a member of
after my retirement. The point is that individuals look at things different and
we
speak as individuals as opposed to "this is the Marxist position." It is not
coincidental, but the confluence of various events that makes 1967 and 1968
the nexus of a series of events that would echo throughout America.

You dishonesty on elemental question is striking. It would be more prudent
for you to speak of events you can authenticate. First of all I do not speak of
the American Labor Movement.

You state  "it is self-contradictory to say the American labor movement was
'passive' as it was in the Civil Rights movement - especially the UAW."

I speak of the white sector of the industrial proletariat and not even the
trade unions because this is a separate question, and each major union must be
looked at in its concreteness. Further, however you define the American Labor
Movement (your words and concept not mine), it has always been more than less
passive, with momentary assertions from its industrial sector. There is a
reason for this but that is not the point right now.

Here is the basic problem. The Trade Union Movement is not the white sector
of the industrial proletariat. The industrial proletariat is not the working
class. The American Labor Movement seems to me to be a broader category than
the
working class, since in American history farm laborers and even the
sharecropper would fall under the category of labor.

The deeper question is that you have no experience to authenticate any of
your statements, while on the other hand . . . I do. Therefore I shall write
the
history as I understand it as opposed to how you understand it since you were
not there and offer zero source material.

The Nation of Islam was of course founded in Detroit and lead for many years
by the Honorable Elijah Muhammad, to whom all praises are due. Its membership
has always been overwhelming proletariat and industrial proletariat in Detroit
and the outlying areas. The separatism of the Nation express the two
historical tendencies in the African American Liberation Movement. By this is
not
meant the social phenomena of African American organizations, which requires no
validation or justification.

The formation of the African American people is unique. Their consolidation
was not based on common land or religion. Common land does not mean common
geography, but rather the internal economic dynamic that have characterized the
formation of nations and people during the transition from landed property to
bourgeois property relations. The force that formed the African Americans into
people (and a section of Marxism disputes the peopleness of the African
American people, although the African American views their peopleness as a
validity
requiring no explanation) has always been the legal and estra-legal pressure
of the whites.

Consequently there could only be two tactics in the fight. One was to
separate into a political and or economic entity, and as a group seek equality
with
white America. Their physical dispersal throughout America prevented this, as
well as the terror of the whites. Yet, segregation - which originated in the
North as a by product of the freeing of roughly 30,000 slaves, meant a certain
isolation and sperate development. Here is why David Walker and "Walkers
Appeal" erupted into history as the document that polarized and galvanized the
anti-slavery movement in the early 1800s.

Walkers Appeal predates the First International by many years - was not the
International founded September 28, 1864? Walker was dead then. In as much as
we are talking about what you call the "Black Movement" (your words) and I am
speaking of the African American Liberation Movement and the evolution of the
African American as a people, I would trace this labor movement aspect from the
Coloured National Labor Union (1870s) with its affiliates in 23 states and
its association with the First International.

Nothing wrong with different individuals with different experiences and
histories and legacies seeing their direct experience and history different. I
view
American history different - obviously. Therefore, I authenticate my
experience by stating the framework of my activity for the period involved.
This means
speaking in the first person tense so as not to confuse anyone.

I speak of two distinct by converging lines of development in the evolution
and emergence of the African American people as a historically distinct people.
- North and South.

The other tactic was to fight to integrate through desegregation and
equality. The natural and consistently expressed drive of the African Americans
has
been to become equal members of American society. There has always been bitter
struggle over tactics but there has never been serious struggle over goals.

The Nation of Islam's reluctance to enter politics is mirrored in the refusal
of the vast majority of African Americans - indeed, the entire American
peoples, to enter political as such. I have no opinion on this one way or
another.
Nevertheless the defeat of segregation did alter the political equation and
the political juncture in the evolution of the African American Liberation
Movement is considered the curve that is Birmingham 1963 and then Watts 1965
and
finally the political manifestation that is Detroit 1967.

I personally find nothing particularly offense in the Nation of Islam
official Theology or that of the King James Version of the Bible. Their
rhetoric of
the "white man as the devil" struck a deep cord within the black masses because
they had been treated in a manner that is most certainly the handiwork of the
devil and evil beyond comprehension. In fact I use to enjoy their cartons by
brother John 2X, if memory serves we correct.

In terms of my description of "Black Radio," I mean what it has always mean
and expressed in American history. I of course seek no ones approval or
validation for my use of concepts authenticated in the history of the African
American people. It does not matter what you think "Black Radio" means in
connection
with Claud Anderson.

You state:

>That was the only 'revolutionary' statement
Malcolm X ever made). Malcolm's advocacy
was not 'class war' but race war: "Black
Revolution."<

I understand this to mean that Malcolm X advocated race war or a conflict
between Anglo Americans and African Americans. May I suggest you check out
http://www.brothermalcolm.net/ and authenticate your statement that Malcolm X
advocated "race war" - your exact words. Here are his recording and writings.
Who
but an aggressor and chauvinists would imply that a group advocating armed
resistance against an armed force is advocating race war?

Now the events of 1967 and 1968 Detroit was not enough to break the deeply
engrained white chauvinism of the UAW. Another series of events collided. The
death of Walter Reuther in an airplane crash on his way to the union resort -
Black Lake, and the political polarity in the police force - the emergence of
the Black Guardians, and the electoral and government structures were coming to
a head. Much of this is written about in "Detroit, I Do Mind Dying" - which I
spoke of earlier. The election of Coleman Young Jr. brought things to a head
and spilt the UAW, when the leading trade union leaders refused to support
Young and instead endorsed Mel Ravitz.

This was fought out within the CAP (Community Action Program) involving
millions of dollars and command of a political apparatus. The black trade
unionist
in the main opposed the union's endorsement and then all hell broke out. In
this climate Nelson Jack Edward became the first black executive board member
only later to be assassinated.

Much of this has been repeated written about and should not one give
themselves the opportunity to check out the facts?

Puffing oneself up and shouting class struggle from the roof top and teaching
the workers means very little. Your assessment of African American Liberation
and what the black masses and their leaders need to do is understood. Why not
try and tell this to them and win them over to your ideas? I am sure they are
eager to hear your ranks about who is a reactionary Christian and what they
need to do to carry out the class struggle.

I prefer to stay on solid and safe ground and speak of things that can be
authenticated. As for the activity of Stan Goff and my comments on his
presentation of self determination, you need not worry yourself.

Waistline.

PS. You did lie about Nelson Peery being a founding member of the old League
of Revolutionary Black Workers and need to withdraw that statement. Why do you
lie? Do you also withdraw the characterization concerning the "reactionary
Christian . . ." ? Do you dispute that I have accurately spoke of the UAW in
the
time frame of the late 1950s to the election of Coleman Young Jr?

For the record one can consult the official proceeding of the UAW
Constitutional Convention - Second, and actually read what Reuther stated
concerning
blacks.