Reading this old thread of my late beloved Lisa brings back a lot of memories. I do not, remember, however, how this discussion proceeded from there. I do remember that it was an unfinished discussion, and that I had it in the back of my mind to engage Lisa once again attempting to divert her attention from dead-end leads and toward another direction. She was engaged and committed to the study of this material,. and to engagement with the marxists on the lists she moderated, perhaps much more than it or them deserved. Lisa had a voracious, unquenchable passion for knowledge and synthesis, and she studied a variety of subjects in addition to her professional scientific competence.

I still think my interventions were sound. I did have to deal with the consequences of using a word without checking its meaning in the dictionary--"prevarication." Occasionally in our private discussions we would step on one another's toes, but she couldn't get enough of them.

I remember that I had it in mind to discuss with Lisa something that was confusing her at the time, still struggling with Engels. It was on the question of dialectical "laws", which she tacitly assumed, as do sloppy Marxist thinkers on the subject (i.e. most of them), that these "laws" are something like laws of nature. Engels himself is responsible for this half-assed thinking, which is why I don't think it is useful to invest oneself in what Engels literally says. I meant to broaden the discussion to get Lisa out of struggling with an arguing against what is essentially a dead-end position. But then Lisa died suddenly, and this conversation, like many other conversations between us, was cruelly ended by circumstance. Sigh.