A. Mani wrote:

"...Chernobyl was an accident...Even during the cold war, the soviets maintained high ecological standards..."

I may be dating myself, but I must confess to being old enough to
remember a time when there was an Aral Sea.

Shane Mage

"When we read on a printed page the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems mystical, mystifying, even downright silly.

When we read on a computer screen the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems self-evidently true." (N. Weiner)