>>Winston, Henry (2 Apr. 1911-13 Dec. 1986), a leading figure in the
Communist party of the United States for forty years, was born in Hattiesburg,
Mississippi, the son of Joseph Winston, a sawmill worker, and Lucille (maiden
name
not known). Both of his parents were children of slaves.<<

Comment

Thanks.

Very informative. Back in the early 1970s Winston's "Strategy for a Black
Agenda" became the focal point of some intense discussions that would later
shape
and consolidate my view on what constitutes the working class movement in
America and the history of the American communists approach to slavery the
formation of the American Union and the evolution of the industrial classes in
the
North.

Perhaps in the future some astute author will chronicle the role of African
American communists in their work amongst the African American peoples; their
various organizations and as LEADERS OF THE WORKING CLASS - in general, in and
outside the union movement. The latter role as real leaders of sections of the
industrial working class - in and outside the trade union movement, would
crystallized in the post Detroit 1967 Rebellion period.

Henry was one of the Southern Mississippi boyz, born in an area of one of the
centers of the fascists counterrevolution that overthrew the democratically
elected Reconstruction governments of the post Civil War era. It would be
interesting to know his theoretical, polemical and gut reaction to the
political
reasoning of Harry Haywood's 1948 "Negro Liberation."

Me . . . I am a one of those Northern boyz, second generation autoworker who
matured and attained adulthood in the post Jim Crow era and lived the process
that birthed the political separation of the black workers from the black
bourgeoisie and reconfigured our working class movement forever.

Nice bio. Nice Juneteenth and Father day piece.

Waistline