At 06:47 PM 7/19/2005 +0900, CeJ wrote:
I'm wondering if the cold war actually transformed anything. And is
there really much more to say on the topic after Lakatos, Feyerabend,
but also the post-structuralists?

What does this mean?

More interesting to me has always been LP-related but not pure LP. For
example, Wittgenstein's foray into the philosophy of psychology. One
totally underestimated philosopher of science was the non-LP Jean
Piaget, a Swiss who wrote in French. Piaget was quite interested in a
unity of sciences and even wrote a monograph about it (which we never
studied in university philosophy of science class back in the early
80s, but whose main name, Kuhn, later acknowledged a debt to Piaget).

Interestingly enough a quick search of the Marx-related web yielded a
typical Piaget piece about the LPs! I might add, cognitive science
could sure use a review of the likes of Wittgenstein, Piaget, and
Vygotsky. Here is just an excerpt that focuses on the LPs--the part
about Chomsky is QUITE good. I really like the end sentence of the
excerpt, so much I'll quote it here too, for those who aren't going to
read what follows or surf to the site:

The part about Chomsky is not good at all.

More comments below addressed to the Piaget essay.

 If indeed we find logical structures
in the coordinations of actions in small children even before the
development of language, we are not in a position to say that these
logical structures are derived from language. This is a question of
fact and should be approached not by speculation but by an
experimental methodology with its objective findings.

A good position to take.

The first principle of genetic epistemology, then, is this - to take
psychology seriously. Taking psychology seriously means that, when a
question of psychological fact arises, psychological research should
be consulted instead of trying to invent a solution through private
speculation.

Philosophy of language is mostly speculation, n'est ce pas?

It is worthwhile pointing out, by the way, that in the field of
linguistics itself, since the golden days of logical positivism, the
theoretical position has been reversed. Bloomfield in his time adhered
completely to the view of the logical positivists, to this linguistic
view of logic. But currently, as you know, Chomsky maintains the
opposite position. Chomsky asserts, not that logic is based on and
derived from language, but, on the contrary, that language is based on
logic, on reason, and he even considers this reason to be innate. He
is perhaps going too far in maintaining that it is innate; this is
once again a question to be decided by referring to facts, to
research.

But is this an accurate characterization of Chomsky's position? This doesn't sound right to me.

It is another problem for the field of psychology to
determine. Between the rationalism that Chomsky is defending nowadays
(according to which language is based on reason, which is thought to
be innate in man)

Where does Chomsky claim that language is based on reason?

The second reason is found in Godel's theorem. It is the fact that
there are limits to formalisation. Any consistent system sufficiently
rich to contain elementary arithmetic cannot prove its own
consistency. So the following questions arise: logic is a
formalisation, an axiomatisation of something, but of what exactly?
What does logic formalise? This is a considerable problem. There are
even two problems here. Any axiomatic system contains the
undemonstrable propositions or the axioms, at the outset, from which
the other propositions can be demonstrated, and also the undefinable,
fundamental notions on the basis of which the other notions can be
defined. Now in the case of logic what lies underneath the
undemonstrable axioms and the undefinable notions? This is the problem
of structuralism in logic, and it is a problem that shows the
inadequacy of formalisation as the fundamental basis. It shows the
necessity for considering thought itself as well as considering
axiomatised logical systems, since it is from human thought that the
logical systems develop and remain still intuitive.

Good point.

The third reason why formalisation is not enough is that epistemology
sets out to explain knowledge as it actually is within the areas of
science, and this knowledge is, in fact not purely formal: there are
other aspects to it.

Good point.

 In his conclusion to this
volume, Beth wrote as follows: "The problem of epistemology is to
explain how real human thought is capable of producing scientific
knowledge. In order to do that we must establish a certain
coordination between logic and psychology." This declaration does not
suggest that psychology ought to interfere directly in logic - that is
of course not true - but it does maintain that in epistemology both
logic and psychology should be taken into account, since it is
important to deal with both the formal aspects and the empirical
aspects of human knowledge.

Would this have made Frege or Husserl happy?

So, in sum, genetic epistemology deals with both the formation and the
meaning of knowledge. We can formulate our problem in the following
terms: by what means does the human mind go from a state of less
sufficient knowledge to a state of higher knowledge?

Good.

So much for the introduction to this field of study. I should like now
to turn to some specifics and to start with the development of logical
structures in children. I shall begin by making a distinction between
two aspects of thinking that are different, although complementary.
One is the figurative aspect, and the other I call the operative
aspect. .........
To express the same idea in still another way, I think that human
knowledge is essentially active. To know is to assimilate reality into
systems of transformations. To know is to transform reality in order
to understand how a certain state is brought about. By virtue of this
point of view, I find myself opposed to the view of knowledge as a
copy, a passive copy, of reality. In point of fact, this notion is
based on a vicious circle: in order to make a copy we have to know the
model that we are copying, but according to this theory of knowledge
the only way to know the model is by copying it, until we are caught
in a circle, unable ever to know whether our copy of the model is like
the model or not. To my way of thinking, knowing an object does not
mean copying it - it means acting upon it. It means constructing
systems of transformations that can be carried out on or with this
object. Knowing reality means constructing systems of transformations
that correspond, more or less adequately, to reality. They are more or
less isomorphic to transformations of reality. The transformational
structures of which knowledge consists are not copies of the
transformations in reality; they are simply possible isomorphic models
among which experience can enable us to choose. Knowledge, then, is a
system of transformations that become progressively adequate.

Very interesting.

But there is a second possibility: when we are acting upon
an object, we can also take into account the action itself, or
operation if you will, since the transformation can be carried out
mentally. In this hypothesis the abstraction is drawn not from the
object that is acted upon, but from the action itself. It seems to me
that this is the basis of logical and mathematical abstraction.

This must be true.  We wouldn't have number concepts if it weren't.

In cases involving the physical world the abstraction is abstraction
from the objects themselves. A child, for instance, can heft objects
in his hands and realize that they have different weights - that
usually big things weigh more than little ones, but that sometimes
little things weigh more than big ones. All this he finds out
experientially, and his knowledge is abstracted from the objects
themselves. But I should like to give an example, just as primitive as
that one, in which knowledge is abstracted from actions, from the
coordination of actions, and not from objects. This example, one we
have studied quite thoroughly with many children, was first suggested
to me by a mathematician friend who quoted it as the point of
departure of his interest in mathematics. When he was a small child,
he was counting pebbles one day; he lined them up in a row, counted
them from left to right, and got ten. Then, just for fun, he counted
them from right to left to see what number he would get, and was
astonished that he got ten again. He put the pebbles in a circle and
counted them, and once again there were ten. He went around the circle
in the other way and got ten again. And no matter how he put the
pebbles down, when he counted them, the number came to ten. He
discovered here what is known in mathematics as commutativity, that
is, the sum is independent of the order. But how did he discover this?
Is this commutativity a property of the pebbles? It is true that the
pebbles, as it were, let him arrange them in various ways; he could
not have done the same thing with drops of water. So in this sense
there was a physical aspect to his knowledge. But the order was not in
the pebbles; it was he, the subject, who put the pebbles in a line and
then in a circle. Moreover, the sum was not in the pebbles themselves;
it was he who united them. The knowledge that this future
mathematician discovered that day was drawn, then, not from the
physical properties of the pebbles, but from the actions that he
carried out on the pebbles. This knowledge is what I call logical
mathematical knowledge and not physical knowledge.

You can learn a lot from observing children's games.  It's truly remarkable.

Now
all these forms of coordinations have parallels in logical structures,
and it is such coordination at the level of action that seems to me to
be the basis of logical structures as they develop later in thought.
This, in fact, is our hypothesis: that the roots of logical thought
are not to be found in language alone, even though language
coordinations are important, but are to be found more generally in the
coordination of actions, which are the basis of reflective
abstraction.

Fascinating.