OK, jks, after suffering through Cornforth's MATERIALISM AND THE DIALECTICAL METHOD, I can see why you hate diamat as you do. This sort of literature corrupts everyone indoctrinated by it. But diamat doesn't have to be that dumb. I've been defending a more sophisticated version of it on the Internet since the early '90s, and my views have undergone modification the more I learn. The revolution in logic occurred about the same time, I think, as Engels was writing his stuff, but while the paths of the two traditions have crossed at various points, the appropriate lessons were never properly disseminated, if in fact, definitive conclusions can even be drawn. When one dumbs down, the effect is not to popularize ideas but to sabotage them. I detest the culture of simplemindedness promulgated by the CPs, Trots, Maoists, and assorted Stalinists. A lot of smart people have gone along with them, possibly by trading on the vagueness and ambiguities of their doctrines, simultaneously politically intimidated by them. I cannot stand Marxist-Leninists. Why haven't they all died off already?

I don't buy Carnap's argument. He claims that metaphysics is poetry, only bad poetry. And I don't buy the notion that poetry is non-cognitive. "Jabberwocky" is non-cognitive. Andrew Lang is non-cognitive, I'm guessing. But a whole lot of poetry has gone to great lengths to be cognitive. Nietzsche, whom Carnap supposedly valued, was not merely a poet.