About a year ago I got into a discussion with someone on this article. This is how it began:

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 06:39:07 -0400
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: Ralph Dumain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Logic and Dialectics by Robin Hirsch

In Cultural Logic:

http://eserver.org/clogic/2004/hirsch.html

Some useful references.

This is a succinct criticism of the sloppy approach to dialectics, in view of developments in logic and mathematics since the 19th century. However, the author's logic falters when drawing conclusions on the value of dialectical thinking.

I then got embroiled in a brief argument as to whether Hirsch had anything positive to contribute to the understanding of dialectical thinking, Hegel, or Marx. The discussion resulted in about a dozen posts, and quickly got sidetracked over the first few. I will reproduce a fragment of my first response: