To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, September 11, 2005 22:01
Subject: [Marxism-Thaxis] Graham Priest: Dialetheism & Marx

Priest, Graham. 'Was Marx a Dialetheist?', Science and Society, 1991, 54, 468-75.

While I don't expect everyone to be held spellbound by this question, it is illustrative of a recurring problem in intellectual history (and also in popular intellectual culture, which is another story. Priest's views on dialetheism (logic which admits contradictions) is controversial among his fellow logicians, and he responds to objections in his book. Probably his fellow logicians (except those interested in Marx, among which there are more than a few) are not terribly concerned about his views on Marx, and in fact he says nothing about Marx in his book. However he did get a response to his earlier article on dialectics and dialetheism:

Marquit, Erwin. "A Materialist Critique of Hegel's Concept of Identity of Opposites," Science and Society, Summer 1990, 54, no. 2, 147-166.

I haven't yet reviewed this article, so I'll move directly to Priest's response. Marquit himself is a Marxist (and a physicist, I believe) who maintains that logical contradictions are unacceptable. Priest counters this by reaffirming the existence of formal logics not susceptible to this limitation. Moreover, Marquit is wrong to claim that contradiction is intolerable in theoretical investigations, citing Dirac's early formulation of quantum mechanics and teh early infinitesimal calculus as examples. However, as all theories get replaced eventually, inconsistencies or no, one can't argue much on this basis. (Am I missing something, or is Priest undermining himself here?)

Then there is Marquit's argument as to the difference between idealism and materialism. While Hegel's idealism requires an identity of opposites, materialism does not. Priest argues that the substantive differences between Hegel and Marx are irrelevant to the question of whether the entities in question have formally contradictory properties. Marquit argues that a succession of states in time (state A and state not-A) are contradictory or not depending on whether Hegel's or Marx's logical and historical dialectics are temporal or not. I'm not going to reproduce the confusing paragraph in question, but suffice it to say that Priest counters this argument. Finally, Priest claims that since Marx says that he took over his dialectic from Hegel, we should take his word for it, along with the criticisms he explicitly makes of Hegel's dialectic. Oy!

In his earlier article, Priest cites three alleged examples of Marx's dialetheism; Marquit addresses only one, with the familiar ploy of reinterpreting a situation in which A & not-A are both true as being so in DIFFERENT RESPECTS. The example in question is a famous one from Marx on the nature of the commodity, its use value, exchange value, and equivalency. Priest analyzes this example from CAPITAL as well as another one from A CONTRIBUTION TO POLITICAL ECONOMY to counter Marquit's argument.

Priest segues to the contradictory nature of wage labor, both free and unfree. Here too he counters Marquit's attempt to weasel out of a contradiction in the same respect.

Next Priest discusses the nature of motion, beginning with Zeno's paradox. Here I am confused about Priest's argument about the unsatisfactoriness of the Russellian argument, about which he claims to agree with Marquit. Then he throws quantum mechanics into the mix, and I can't make sense out of the argument anymore, as we move into paragraphs on the uncertainty principle and the two-slit experiment. Priest concludes that he is not "suggesting that quantum mechanical descriptions are descriptions of an inconsistent reality. My point is just that it is premature to claim quantum mechanics as an ally against dialetheism."

I don't know whether you can make any sense out of my summary of this article, but to me the article itself is an awful mess. I offer a few observations:

(1) Priest treats disparate examples as if they are alike:

(a) the nature of motion (implying, firstly, the nature of the continuum). There is a philosophical dimension, a scientific dimension, and a mathematical dimension to this problem. The ancient Greeks, lacking the calculus (though I'm told that Archimedes came close), could not handle the mathematical dimension, but they dealt with both the logical (philosophical) and scientific dimension of the problem as best they could. The strictly logical dimension--i.e. the nature of the continuum--involves the question of infinite divisibility of the line into points. If I remember correctly, already Aristotle challenged Zeno by denying that motion should be considered as a succession of states of rest, and that the line, while potentially infinitely divisible, should not be considered as a collection of points (or actual infinity of real numbers, a nondenumerable infinite set as Cantor proved it to be).

Then there is the relation between the mathematical idealization and the physical. In his book Priest recounts Aristotle's struggle with the concept of the atom on the one hand and on the other the (im)possibility of the physical infinite divisibility of matter and space. This is already an issue more than two millennia before the worse problems introduced by quantum mechanics. Curiously, in this article, Priest acknowledges that quantum mechanics complicated matters, but otherwise remains simplistic in his indifference toward other distinctions.

Interestingly, Marx had a hobby in the last decade of his life, writing about the various explanations of the calculus in the old textbooks he read and evaluating their relative (in)adequacies. These manuscripts have been published and analyzed, (I think they were analyzed before they were published.) Priest does not mention them or compare them to other treatments, such as those of Engels. While I do vaguely recall Dirk Struik's treatment of Marx's analysis of 3 approaches to the calculus (all before Weierstrauss et al straightened out the mess), I don't recall Marx making any of the claims or arguments that Engels does (Van Heijenoort exonerates Marx of the intellectual sins he finds in Engels), let alone linking them in any way to his social theory.

(b) the nature of the commodity and the money economy: how do the alleged contradictions here relate in any way to the nature of the continuum. True, motion in time as well as space also involves a measurement along the continuum, and thus raises the question of nature of the "instant" (both at rest and in motion?), but how does this abstract property of the time continuum relate to Marx's social theory and substantive critique of political economy? There is an abstract question of the viewpoint of stasis vs. that of motion (development), but can it be stated as baldly identical to the apparent paradox of the continuum (of time)? We can continue to argue philosophically over the nature of the instant and whether motion should or should not be considered as a succession of states of rest, or rather, inversely, that the paradox emerges from the artifact of freezing motion as hypothetical point-instants. But in the meanwhile we do have the calculus to address the question mathematically. We even now have nonstandard analysis. What analog do we have in approaching the relation of use-value and exchange-value according to Marx? (OK, Marx used math in his critique of political economy, but is this some sort of axiomatizable theory?) How is it possible to switch from one example to the other as if one is engaging an identical argument in both cases?

(c) freedom and unfreedom: here we have a categorial pair far removed from the nature of the continuum and simple physical motion, and no math to resort to. The mutual (dialectical) interrelation of these categories, or other pairs (indeterminism-determinism, chance-necessity, freedom-necessity) raises a whole different question from that of the nature of motion and the continuum. Priest briefly addresses the question of internal relations in his previous essay, which as far as I can tell just gets lost even where he promises to nail it. Priest is so obsessed with showing that A & not-A are both predicated in all of his examples, he fails to note not only their substantive differences but whether or not this formula tells us anything meaningful about the relation of A and not-A, or about the examples in question.

(2) Is there any meaningful way that paraconsistent logic can be applied to illuminate any higher-level philosophical questions, or for that matter the nature of use-value and exchange-value according to Marx? What is the point of such an exercise? Does it add anything to our understanding of the matter at hand, or does it even formally capture its logical structure?

(3) Priest's argumentation is truly remarkable to me. One would think that as a person versed in both contemporary formal logic (unlike the average Marxist) and Hegel and Marx (unlike the average logician or analytical philosopher) that he would escape the recurrent pattern of simplistic arguments. Yet, for all his delving into substantive philosophical ideas and theories, all he cares about in the end is validating dialetheism, i.e. establishing the existence of formal contradictions, just as if he were another simpleton regurgitating the bad arguments of Stalinists, Trotskyists, and Maoists, his more sophisticated qualifications notwithstanding. What does Dr. Paraconsistency have to offer in relation to the contributions of Ilyenkov, Zeleny, Tony Smith, Uno, Arthur, and scores of others? Where is the synthesis of the achievements of modern logic and analytical philosophy and the Hegelian-Marxist heritage? All I got was this lousy T-shirt.