Over on Marxmail, Shane Mage suggested that a probably decisive aspect
for CBS was that Don Imus's remarks exposed the network to possible
litigation.  You simply cannot call people whores on the public
airwaves and not expect to be sued for libel. If litigation should
occur, CBS and Imus can expect to be paying out millions of dollars in
damages. That and the prospect of organized boycotts of network
sponsors, I think, made this a rather easy business decision for the
powers that be at CBS and MSNBC.

Jim F.
-- Ralph Dumain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
This story has been approached from a number of different angles. While
Ehrenreich's approach is a legitimate one, there is a slightly different
conclusion to be drawn from her argument. I don't buy the reappropriation
of language line.  It's probably true that a lot of stupid white people
have borrowed a slang they don't really understand.  (I see young white
boys in the subway chanting "I'm a  n***a" while listening to rappers on
their ipods.) That was my initial impression of Imus' remarks.  But if
they
were in fact back-handed compliments, they were still insulting, and would
have been insulting no matter who uttered them.  If Imus wanted to lust
over black girls, which he certainly has the right to do, better he should
have gotten himself in trouble by making a rather different set of remarks
than picking up on a demeaning stereotype to do so.  One can certainly
lust
over classy young ladies as I did at the Kennedy Center while all this was
going on. There's an issue of respect. The problem, however, is not merely
in the imitation, but in the original.  This whole language, which nobody
will ever convince me means anything but low self-esteem, needs to be
proscribed.

If this were a one-off, I'd say fugeddaboudit. But apparently this fellow
has a track record, so good riddance.  But the hypocrisy of the media and
all of the players involved ought to be highlighted, including the
monetary
interdependency of all the politicians and media people mixed up in this.