RE: Thugs know thugs; lumpens as wanna be capitalists

>>Ian Curtis
The lead singer of Joy Divison - who is currently depicted in Anton
Corbijn's biopic Control - helped Margaret Thatcher into power by
voting Conservative in 1979, reportedly as a protest against the
Labour government of James Callaghan.>>

Curtis appears a  character in 24 Hour Party People. Most Americans
wouldn't know who he was, so that is an interesting choice to show up
on the list. He died a young man, from suicide, despondent over a
failed relationship, so I'm not sure how much development there was in
his political thought.

I remember at the time Thatcher got elected some thought it progress
simply because Margaret is a woman.

 If I recall, I think Paul Weller, singer/songwriter/guitarist for the
Jam (and prime influence on Noel and the rest of Oasis, indeed he
seems to have arranged and played on some of their best songs) started
out pro-Thatcher or at least anti-Callaghan. Or that was the way he
was presented in some of the press.  He ended up being a very
anti-Thatcher 'pop star' in the late Jam and then Style Council.

But really, saying that you are right wing because you choose Thatcher
over Callaghan is rather silly. It would be like saying you supported
militarism and imperialism in Afghanistan because you voted Reagan
instead of Carter.

Perhaps Curtis delved into the right wing of politics and social
organization, I don't know. There was some talk that the group's name,
'Joy Division' was some sort of reference to the prostitution in
concentration camps. Hence allegations of anti-semitism. The group
seems to have chosen JG Ballard as a literary inspiration, though (who
is about as incoherent as Philip K. Dick).

It's always easier to connect with the right than anything left in the
US and the UK. A lot of punk was just unformed and anarchic--and
really just wanted to make big bucks like Queen or Phil Collins, as
the Sex Pistols would tell you. They went on TV and swore at a whole
nation simply because the host started it--and they were last minute
fill ins for Queen. But the banning of 'God Save the Queen' from the
pop charts, even though it was selling better than anything else,
well, the establishment did see them as threatening.

And much of what was calling itself punk by the early 80s was
entrenched as racist and anti-foreign and politically fascist. But
there were also groups like Crass, which were considered enemies of
the state in Thatcher UK. And there were lots of anti-racist, totally
left groups in the US, too. Perhaps being in a rock group is a lousy
political platform, in retrospect (about as useless as most political
discussion lists).

I'm not even sure about Elvis's racism. The famed 'shine my shoes'
remark appears to be urban legend. He shifted back to doing country
and gospel  in his last years, to some extent, because he identified
that as his main potential audience. Also, remember, he didn't go over
well in Vegas til he started dressing like Liberace (or was he trying
to copy Wayne Newton?)

And much of country is--or had been--southern white man's blues. If
you listen to Hank Williams you can hear a lot more calculation and
professional approach to his music than his crafted image of a poor
white man reveals, but you can also hear the same appealing heartache
as you hear in blues.

What does it say, though, for someone who is so troubled and drugged
up as Elvis writing that letter to Nixon (who apparently was troubled
and drugged up himself?)? More likely Elvis resented the Beatles for
replacing him as rock idols everyone wanted to copy.

I also think Eric Clapton gets undeserved bad press. I'd like to hear
a recording of what he actually said in that drunken (and probably
drugged up state) because some claim it wasn't that bad, even if it
was politically right wing. Surely a lot of his actions since then
reveal a pampered often over rated celebrity rock star, but they also
indicate that he doesn't hate people of color. In every interview I've
ever seen (and I have to admit I don't go out of my way to see them),
he has done nothing but praise the blues men who were his main
influences. But again, you have to remember, he is doing rock music
for a mostly white audience. And as marketers and many performers
know, its white audiences that are the most eclectic in what they
listen to and buy.

CJ