I'm out of the loop, having long ago lost interest in the leftist
subculture when it functions as a subculture, thinking about itself
and its identity, which one would think only people who live
privileged lives can do.

I don't need the CP rhetoric to understand such basic principles. And
if the ultraleft is that stupid now, what's to say about it, but the
situation of the Trotskyists in the 1930s was remarkably different,
and thus a poor comparison to today's subcultural politics.

No, I don't see American capitalism collapsing, but there are severe
dangers to its political and economic stability, not to mention
global environmental damage.  I don't see a revival of New Deal
social liberalism, which I'd been hoping for since the Reagan
years.  Things seem to be getting worse and worse.  A new movement is
necessary to force fundamental reforms, but I have no idea if and how
it will take shape.  Whether it can combat social disintegration
remains an open question.  The old factory worker scenario is not
what it was in the USA, and the globalization of capital involves a
whole new challenge, but you knew that already.

I don't agree about Obama being in touch with the masses, but I draw
different conclusions from his deceit than do the left sectarians. It
is too late to attempt to "expose" him; once he gains the nomination,
the die is cast.  More on this below.

Nader is going to get hurt, because the activism he wants to see is
quite a different matter from pulling a lever for a candidate.  The
two should not be conflated.  The average person will only see Nader
as a protest vote, and a spoiler, and his reputation among the
average persons who respected him will be severely damaged. We are in
a bad situation politically, in a very unsophisticated nation.  Sure,
people on the left and liberals who like Nader will debate the merits
of his candidacy, but there are plenty more people who view Nader as
a spoiler and will only hate him.  He can't be effective as a
presidential candidate in any way that will make a difference to the
masses of voters.  They won't check out his web site or become
activist public citizens.  Nader made his point in 2000.  Sure, if he
can stimulate public dialogue, organize activists, get public funds
for the Green Party, maybe he can do some good.  But from the moment
the Democratic nominees are decided, there really is nothing that can
be done within the overall electoral process other than to defeat the
Republicans, and not just in the presidential race.  Then kick the
Dems in the ass afterwards.  Understand that Obamamania is very
fragile and only affects selected components of the white voting
population, also among Democrats.  McCain could win, and that will
make things much worse.  The time to oppose Obama was at the
beginning of his campaign, or when he started to streamroll.  But now
there's nothing that can be done other than to minimize the damage
that will ensue now that the right is gearing up to smear Obama as it
already smeared the Clintons.

Another point about Nader.  Though unlike Obama in certain ways at
this juncture (i.e. Obama is a wheeler-dealer and no longer an
"activist"), Nader shares one suspicious trait in common with Obama:
he attracts people across the political spectrum.  He brags about
this, which is understandable in a politically backward nation such
as this. But it means two things: (1) possible competition among the
"independents", weakening the Dems (but probably by little); (2) a
political ambiguity in Nader's political role, which matters in an
electoral arena in a way it doesn't necessarily in his public
interest work.  This latter point takes some explaining, but I'm not
up to it.  Yeah, the Dems are pricks, but if one has been shut out of
the governmental process, then perhaps there's a better way to
intervene than going the third party route when it can't produce
results as a real political party.

I'm not sure what is meant about the election as the main arena of
class struggle. I'm guessing that there are two parallel arenas which
are unlikely to intersect meaningfully between the Dem Convention and
the general election.  Getting Obama elected is one task which has an
entirely different logic from autonomous activism.  Confusing the two
can only invite disaster.

Take this position statement and the ensuing bloggorhea as a case in point:

Holding Barack Obama Accountable
http://www.blackagendareport.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=529&Itemid=34

I agree generally with Bruce Dixon, with one serious caveat. One
respondent actually says what I said, comparing this election
campaign season to American Idol.  The defenders of Obama are all
idiots, and the detractors are all fairly perceptive.

My caveat: it's too late to hold Obama's feet to the fire as a
presidential candidate.  A national presidential election is not a
situation comparable to the other elections in which Obama ran.  His
mealy-mouth crap may get him elected, maybe not.  But what does it
mean to demand he take a progressive stand now?  It's all about
maximizing the vote for him and minimizing the opposition.  If he
beats Hillary, there's nothing else that can be done.  Organizing an
independent movement that will be needed whoever wins is another
matter from simply getting Obama to make promises that could hurt his
chances or that he won't keep.  He has a number of liabilities in the
fight against McCain, and the only thing that Obama's supporters can
do is to minimize them.  Progressives can do nothing in the electoral
arena but try to defeat the Republicans without deluding themselves
as to what is really going on or thinking they can fool others with
their own delusions.

Note the interchange between Adolph Reed Jr. and Blanding. Both are
wrong in the conclusions drawn, for different reasons.  Blanding is
completely full of shit; his analogies are weak, wish-fulfillment
delusions.  Reed's analysis is much closer to the truth of how Obama
got to where he is and where he more or less stands.  However, the
direction his presidency will take is another question that Reed has
not thought through.  Reed is wrong that Obama deals a blow to social
justice, etc.  That blow has already been struck. He can't make
things worse and has no incentive to do so. Obama as a
self-proclaimed mediator is no radical, but he also lacks an
aggressive reactionary agenda.  He will probably try to split the
difference among opposing positions.  This means that what he stands
for will be partly determined by the actual balance of political
forces.  If progressive action is sufficiently organized (outside of
his orbit), he will play that off against the
ultra-reactionaries.  The real issue is how viable his presidency
will be if he strains at his leash too hard and moves too far from
the Clinton-Bush-1 new world order.

Obama's racial profile remains very important is spite of his
race-neutral demeanor.  It could work as camouflage of course; it
could also weaken his position as a free agent though it will gain
the US more prestige abroad, at least initially.  It is true that
Obamamania is deluded and dangerous, and should be rigorously
combatted among progressives.  But beyond that, a sober assessment of
the behind-the-scenes situation (insofar as that is possible to
ascertain) is necessary.  How did Obama get as far as he did, and
what is likely to happen should he be elected?  I have yet to see a
thorough examination of both these questions.

But let me underscore my main point: activism has to operate along
two tracks, which may not intersect very well and which may make
different demands.  Once the die is cast, all that matters is
defeating the Republicans.  Holding Obama's feet to the fire in the
general election means absolutely nothing except for maximizing the
votes for him.  This is an entirely distinct matter from the
progressive movement's ultimate agenda and organizing goals.