Well, Zizek does tend to draw such reactions as RD's. I think it is
worth reading his articles occasionally. That is the beauty of the
internet, I only pay for it with eyestrain and connection times.

I think there is the issues of

1. People brought up in the philosophical traditions of anglo-analytic
and American pragmatism react strongly against the
Hegel-Idealism-Phenomenology-Existentalism-Poststructuralism lines of
philosophical descent.

Why is Marx dismissed in the anglo-analytic tradition? Not because he
works in political economy, but more like because he ontologically he
is an objective idealist?

When someone like Deleuze engages the work of Hume and claims to stake
out a postmodern empiricism, would most who reject the Heglian line
even try to understand?

2. The issue that Zizek is trying to get at, which is much larger than
philosophy as an academic pursuit , which is in the wikipedia article
is stated as:

>Knowing that we are being "lied"
>to is hardly the stuff of revolution when ideology is not, and never
>has been, simply a matter of consciousness (cynicism, irony, and so
>on), of subject positions, but is the very stuff of everyday praxis
>itself. The cynics and ironists, not to mention the deconstructionists
>et al., may know that reality is an "ideological construction" — some
>have even read their Lacan and Derrida — but in their daily practice,
>caught up in an apparently unalterable world of exchange-values
>(capital), they do their part to sustain that construction in any
>case.

I don't think Zizek is original in pointing this out. To the extent
that it may be true of our post-modern existence, what difference does
it make who pointed it out first?

CJ