Ralph D:

Now, point 10 is of some interest to me, unlike the rest of this
insufferable banality. The more I read material like this, the more I
come to the conclusion how worthless this whole gambit is. Here are
some observations:

(1) Ultimately, this is not about where we stand and what's worth
doing in philosophy, based on consolidation of work achieved
worldwide so far. It's really all about the marketplace (and of
course the star system).  Should the analytical establishment forego
protectionism and open up the market to free philosophical trade?
Hence the seeming neutrality of perspective while shining a selective
spotlight on the world market, as well as the lack of real
integration based on some overarching perspective. The very argument
for the erasure of the analytical-continental distinction actually
preserves fragmentation while redrawing boundaries.

(2) Analytical vs continental is like the two-party system. I'm not
sure which are the Democrats. OK, faulty analogy.  Europe is a small
continent, but you'd think from all this literature that (the
exceptionalist British Isles excepted) it consists entirely of France
and Germany (including other nationals who have fallen under their
spell).  There is no Italy or Finland; there was no
Yugoslavia.  There never was a Soviet bloc, though maybe there were
some enclaves of analytical philosophy in Poland. In Europe or in the
Americas where Spanish or Portuguese is spoken, there is no
autonomous philosophical activity. India, China, and Japan do not
exist. And of course, while there is a continental high-fashion
"left", there really is no Marxism.

Bourgeois thought really doesn't know where to go or what to do.

^^^^^
CB: Yea, as Waistline suggested, philosophy in the old sense has been
preserved and overcome . like Engels said too.   There is still the task
of understanding the relationship between thought and being.  But by
ignoring capitalism, as Ralph says, these philosophers are covering up
reality rather than revealing it.  The topic of the history of
philosophy is probably worthwhile, although I bet they leave out Hegel,
who founded the study of the history of philosophy.  Hegel, Feuerbach ,
Marx and Engels are important figures in the history of philo.

This message has been scanned for malware by SurfControl plc.
www.surfcontrol.com